Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Camber Problem!! please help!

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Accord_Yuppie 
#1 ·
okay, i just got back from the alignment center and my camber in the back and front is as follows:

Left Rear = -1.9
Right Rear = -2.0

Front Left = -0.4
Front Right = -0.7

i don't really understand why the rear is soo bad. :mad: all i have is prokits 1.5 drop all around. and i have stock shocks. what do you guys recommend me do??? please help. should i get a camber kit, get new shocks or something. i'm pretty clueless so enlighten me guys. the camber problem is bothering me.

Thanks in advance guys.

#2 ·
I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. You'd need to know what the factory spec are for the alignment of your car. I've never done an alignment on my car, but usually most cars with 4 wheel independent suspensions have more negative camber on the rear. Go back to were you got the alignment and ask them what the specifactions are supposed to be and the tolerance range.

#4 ·
The rear camber should be around -1 to 0 degrees and for the front camber -1 to 1 deg.

How long have you had your stock shocks withe the pro-kits? the stock shocks eventually wear out from the aftermarket springs. It could've caused the rear to sag since the shock is losing its ability to do its job.

How's your ride right now? is it bouncy? if it's bouncy most likely your shocks are blown so getting new shocks would be one option. Getting a camber kit would be the cheaper and more permament solution since even after getting new shocks you might still have negative camber in back.

How was your toe? neg camber isn't good, but toe that is out of spec will kill your tires fast.

#5 ·
PMantis24 said:
The rear camber should be around -1 to 0 degrees and for the front camber -1 to 1 deg.

How long have you had your stock shocks withe the pro-kits? the stock shocks eventually wear out from the aftermarket springs. It could've caused the rear to sag since the shock is losing its ability to do its job.

How's your ride right now? is it bouncy? if it's bouncy most likely your shocks are blown so getting new shocks would be one option. Getting a camber kit would be the cheaper and more permament solution since even after getting new shocks you might still have negative camber in back.

How was your toe? neg camber isn't good, but toe that is out of spec will kill your tires fast.
PMantis4,

I've had my Prokits since last summer. I'm also thinking that my shocks have blown. and my rear does sag alot. the finger gap in the back is like 1 finger to none, while the front is normal.

My ride is very bouncy. some roads just kill my comfort.

My toe was off too, but they fixed the toe. and your right, the tech guy said that toe is what kills the tires the most.

So, do you suggest i get a camber kit first or shocks? (the reason i ask this is cuz i'm on a tight budget right now, and i can't afford both)

and what brands do you guys recommend. sorry, im just a newbie. :)

once again, you guys are great. thanks alot~! :D

#6 ·
V6 Knight said:

PMantis4,

I've had my Prokits since last summer. I'm also thinking that my shocks have blown. and my rear does sag alot. the finger gap in the back is like 1 finger to none, while the front is normal.

My ride is very bouncy. some roads just kill my comfort.

My toe was off too, but they fixed the toe. and your right, the tech guy said that toe is what kills the tires the most.

So, do you suggest i get a camber kit first or shocks? (the reason i ask this is cuz i'm on a tight budget right now, and i can't afford both)

and what brands do you guys recommend. sorry, im just a newbie. :)

once again, you guys are great. thanks alot~! :D
Ah... just what I figured, hehe.. :D

Well what can you afford? for around $435 at groupbuycenter.com (through coximport) you can get a set of Tokico Illuminas. They're ride adjustable and would be perfect for your setup. Tokico also has shocks that aren't adjustable called the blues, they're cheaper but I forgot how much.

A rear camber kit would be $129 from groupbuycenter.com (Specialty products kit, manuf of Eibach kits)

If you can afford the shocks, get those first. You will regain a good ride and get some performance handling to go with it. Also there's a good chance that your camber will go back to spec and you won't need a camber kit.

#7 ·
PMantis24 said:

Ah... just what I figured, hehe.. :D

Well what can you afford? for around $435 at groupbuycenter.com (through coximport) you can get a set of Tokico Illuminas. They're ride adjustable and would be perfect for your setup. Tokico also has shocks that aren't adjustable called the blues, they're cheaper but I forgot how much.

A rear camber kit would be $129 from groupbuycenter.com (Specialty products kit, manuf of Eibach kits)

If you can afford the shocks, get those first. You will regain a good ride and get some performance handling to go with it. Also there's a good chance that your camber will go back to spec and you won't need a camber kit.
PMastis24

your alot of help! thanks alot.

what shocks can you recommend me if i'm just looking for stiffer than stock suspension and handling. in other words, should i get adjustables or nons. i know nons are cheaper.

#8 ·
if u have the eibach pro kit, 18" rims, and aftermarket shocks for it is that the same as having stock springs,16" rims(stock), and stock shocks? because i plan on droppin my car wit da pro kit and i kno dat u would need more stuff in order not to mess ur car up...peace

#11 ·
chronicSMOKE said:
My alignment is so terrible. Are there any camber kits besides ingalls that anyone can recommend?
Yeah like frank said get a specialty products kit, same as Eibach. I got mine rear kit at www.groupbuycenter.com for $129. Front kit costs just a little more.

V6 Knight said:

PMastis24

your alot of help! thanks alot.

what shocks can you recommend me if i'm just looking for stiffer than stock suspension and handling. in other words, should i get adjustables or nons. i know nons are cheaper.
No problem V6 Knight.

Since you're on a budget go for the Tokico Blues, they don't have any ride adjustment, but they'll definately be better than stock and work fine with your pro-kits.

A set costs around $275 at www.autocarparts.com

#13 ·
PMantis24 said:

No problem V6 Knight.

Since you're on a budget go for the Tokico Blues, they don't have any ride adjustment, but they'll definately be better than stock and work fine with your pro-kits.

A set costs around $275 at www.autocarparts.com
Ok, I got a question, I know that the illuminas are adjustable but the blues aren't. Now, I want a shock that is going to last a loooonnnnnggg time. Does either of the shocks have a longer life expectancy. Also, how's the ride comfort compared with both shocks?

#14 ·
loxllxol said:

Ok, I got a question, I know that the illuminas are adjustable but the blues aren't. Now, I want a shock that is going to last a loooonnnnnggg time. Does either of the shocks have a longer life expectancy. Also, how's the ride comfort compared with both shocks?
Aftermarket shocks should last the lifetime of your car. Unless you're crazy and drop your car like 4". Then don't expect any shock to last.

Tokico has a limited lifetime warranty on their shocks. They even warrant against wear-out :D

Check the terms here -> http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/warranty.html

Ride comfort I have no idea since I've never owned either one. Maybe someone else can answer that for you.

#15 ·
whatever u do don't get the front ingalls camber kit!!!! it doesn't fit right and it will rub the inside of your wheel well. IMO i dont think u guys need a rear camber kit. i've had my car lowered about 2.5 inches for 15k miles and the back tires have plenty of tread left on them. it's the front u have to worry about. i have it a little higher now that i got my koni yellows. but yea, dont get an ingalls front kit, i heard progress makes a pretty good one.

#19 ·
If you only have a Eibach Pro Kit a camber kit is not necessary, however new shocks definitely. Tokico non-adjustables are about $300 for all four.

Think, the Pro Kit only lowers your car by 1.5" to 1.75" at most. So imagine your suspension travel for that distance. The camber of the wheel only changes by a very little bit over that distance.

My mechanic and friend told me when I got my Pro Kit that I should get new shocks. At that point my stock shocks were only 4 months old, but he said, the stockers will last at most for half a year with the Eibach springs, so might as well save labor and install them together. I thought: totally right man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.