Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, driving my 92 accord lx on the highway, everything seems to be fine, no noises or nothin, next thing I know car dies, no rpms even though it's still in gear, nothing. check spark, there's no spark, figure hey, my ignition coil went out, I already replaced the ignitor and distributor about 20k ago, so I get a ignition coil, still no spark. Pull the cap off, the rotor is not spinning when I crank it. So I figure hey, probably the timing belt, I know I have to replace my water pump anyway because it's leaking, and I might as well do my valve guide seals and my camshaft seal since I'm burning oil from there and I have to pull the valve cover anyway. So I start by pulling the valve cover off and doing the seals first, to my surprise the timing belt is still in tact, so I put it in gear and manually turn the wheel and it turns, as does half the camshaft, only half, so I pull the rockers off and look closer at the cam, sure enough it is broken in half right around cylinder 2. Half of the camshaft lifts out. Now just thinking, what could have caused this, could the symptoms of this happening or going to happen be consistent with that of a slipping clutch I've been having, even though I just replaced the clutch? Also if I replaced the camshaft, and all said parts, would it run fine like it was before, or is there a possibility it has other issues caused by this happening? Maybe messed up valves because the pistons hit it, similar to a timing belt breaking? And I was about 2500rpms at the time it died. Now would it be smarter to replaced the head or just the cam? A guy here has a complete f22b2 (non vtec) head from a 94 accord, should I swap that head on to my block (f22a1) or should I just swap the cam? The f22b head has 115k on it and mine has 245k on it, wonderig if replacing the head would be a direct swap on (i'm pretty sure it is) and secondly would a stronger head like that cause damage to my lower end (also 245k)?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any help at all? oh and it looks like there is a 1/4 mm score on the head where in the groove where the cam sits in where it broke. probably gonna need a new head because of damage that was caused, probably a new engine as changing the head might actually cost more, because I would do a rebuild while doing it. But ya anyone have any engines or heads for my car your willing to sell me?

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
im getting a swap done within the next month. my F22 has 147k on it, and runs well. no burning oil or any problems to speak of. your welcome to it, but i am in NY.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dude, that would be friggin awesome, since mine is basically hosed atm, would you ship it if I paid the freight? should be like $200 to ship it. and is it a lx non vtec motor or a ex vtec motor? if it's a vtec would I be able to use my same ecu of my nonvtec and just not have the vtec engage until i get another ecu for it, or would you include ecu too?

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
phathom said:
dude, that would be friggin awesome, since mine is basically hosed atm, would you ship it if I paid the freight? should be like $200 to ship it. and is it a lx non vtec motor or a ex vtec motor? if it's a vtec would I be able to use my same ecu of my nonvtec and just not have the vtec engage until i get another ecu for it, or would you include ecu too?
its an lx motor out of my 95 accord. i just have to talk to the shop that is doing my swap to see if they can arrange to have it shipped out. ill let it go for dirt cheap-tranny, ecu, motor. id hate to see a good motor go to waste-just pm me, or email me your phone #.
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.