Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Darth Chinko
29,826 Posts
it's sho. 0nline insults from the safety of your comp are a way of life here. haha. i don't get upset from people online.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
lol yea, pick your battles, if you have to. Otherwise:hug

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
it's sho. 0nline insults from the safety of your comp are a way of life here. haha. i don't get upset from people online.
Eh, it appears he did.

Maybe I probed the stubbron streak a bit too much, but the information he was giving didn't impress me. I was hoping for some good reasons for pulling hot plugs from an engine. All it got me was yelled at :)

For 21K posts he sure doesn't like being criticized.

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
i was not trying to impress. simply inform that reading the spark plugs is an additional help in tuning performance engines, especially with honda based tuning programs like hondata, crome, ectune, neptune...etc. Where the ignition timing you see on the table is not what always goes to the engine. Thus the need for understanding what a spark plug is trying to tell you after you remove it from shutting the engine down at redline.

i, in no way, said that reading the spark plugs was better than dyno tuning or any other strategy. It is an AID in the PROCESS of tuning. And if you dont understand that then you really should learn a little more about tuning engines instead of listening to what your uncles cousins grandpa said.

In the PROCESS of tuning a stock turbo h22, you can get an idea of how much power the engine will handle. The placement of peak cylinder pressure on a stock internal h22 that is boosted is what will save the piston's ringlands and is what will make a healthy h22 stay healthy. By reading the spark plugs, you get an idea of where peak cylinder pressure is based upon how far the ground strap is burned. I have already explained this and given you a link that explains this in greater detail. I did not think i had to spell it out for you. if you had "ground" to walk on, then i shouldn't have to spell it out to you like you are new to tuning aspects of performance engines.

300whp argument is stupid. Either you know how to do it, or you pay someone to build it for you. There is no middle ground with that kind of motor.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The point is to have a 300 hp h22 n/a motor wouldnt be a good dd. Also, as others have mentioned it wouldnt be cost effective. Lastly, with N/A being at 300 horsepower doesnt leave you any room to grow. Talk to many people that have modified their cars. Many of us had a horsepower goal that we "thought" we would stop at. We get there and get used to the power and want more. At that point you are stuck with a at least 10 g investment that will be hard to find a buyer for at that price. Just things to consider.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello

Not to cause argument, but I have to say.

Fully Built Prelude motors making above say 260 WHP are not even close to what I would call daily driver, and far far from reliable.

What you want in a prelude motor is simplicity, and low rev limiter so it lasts YEARS AND YEARS.

So that means this:

H22 Block
H23 Crank
H23 forged rods
Type-S Honda pistons, coated.
H22A head, valve job, new seals, springs, retainers
Mild aftermarket cams
Skunk 2 intake manifold
Stock TB
3" pipe
Blox Velocuty stack
SMSP header
2.5" exhaust
Type-R B Series tranny.

8200 RPM Rev limit. And its probably going to make around 230-240 DYNOJET and be very, very reliable for a motor of that power.

Thats the smart money right there. 300 WHp does nothing when it has nothing but problems and you are spending thousands every few months re-doing it.

Thats my opinion, from experience. Much experience.

Jeff

·
Registered
248 Posts
and thus this concludes your query about obtaining a 300hp n/a h22 motor. come visit us again soon here at SHO =D

·
Registered
817 Posts
wow 8 pages of people beating the fuck out of there brains to prove what? Who has the bigger dick, who knows more about cars. I know that there are a couple people in this thread that have no clue what there talking about and it shows...

Also I might add unless you have worked on cars for a living, to pay the bills, and eat who cares about what this family member did or any of this other erroneous bull shit.

Reading sparkplugs is done in ever level of motorsport and you can ask anyone that has been in it for a long time that it is an essential add on to electronic tuning....

·
Banned
251 Posts
In all honesty, I believe it would be a waste of time and effort. You'd be better off doing a B series swap.

I've only read the last page of this thread and I can tell that some don't know what they're talking about and I completely agree with this statement... "Also I might add unless you have worked on cars for a living, to pay the bills, and eat who cares about what this family member did or any of this other erroneous bull shit."

101 - 120 of 159 Posts