Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after I come back from my deployment. Im thinking of getting myself an 04-05 S2k. But I was just wanting to know if there are any major problems I should look for in this year range.
Im wanting to get a DDer if I decide to really mod out my subie. And plus an S2k with a hardtop is pure sex and I kinda wish I got one along time ago.
Thanks for any info guys....

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
yeah the ap1's main problem is lack of tq so just make sure you get an ap2 :hehe.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
why does the ap1 rev to 9k and the ap2 only rev to 8k ive always wondered this...
in order to increase displacement, they increased the stroke. the higher the stroke, the lower the redline.

im also looking to get a AP2 too, anything i should be checking for. ive heard about the auto tensioner rattling but sounds like an easy fix and checking the soft top for rips and make sure theres not leaks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not really worried about the soft top. I plan on having the cash to get a hardtop right away if I get one.

·
Premium Member
29,826 Posts
why does the ap1 rev to 9k and the ap2 only rev to 8k ive always wondered this...
like was said below, they increased stroke and lowered the redline. they essentially shifted the powerband down to make it more streeable. so basically you don't have to rev the piss out of it to make power.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
yeah the ap1's main problem is lack of tq so just make sure you get an ap2 :hehe.

trust me... its not that much better... than an AP1 ....

most honda's are torqueless...

but then again are u sure that you want to buy a 2 seater as your daily driver ?
you might as well keep the subie as a daily driver and mod the shit out of the s2k. the subie does offer more space and is possibly a better candidate for taking things etc.

main problem i noticed w/ the s2k is the differentials... atleast from what i know from... including mine, which had to get replaced on the AP1's... not so sure if they fixed that for the AP2's. maybe its just me driving it hard but ohh wells.

ohh and its torqueless indeed.. but great fun !!!:number1

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
90 miles a day and no regrets...

through snow, rain, sleet, sunshine...

doesn't matter... though i'd roll on winter tires for the winter months (i use hankook icebears)

dunlop z1 starspecs are on order for autocrossing season...

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
ive also heard about axles breaking on lowered AP1's but where fixed on AP2's with slightly longer axles.

·
Registered
949 Posts
ive also heard about axles breaking on lowered AP1's but where fixed on AP2's with slightly longer axles.
pure conjecture. like many information on this site. driven my S 30k miles lowered 2+ inches so far.. nothing close to breaking. a little noise on wheel bearing though. but thats normal.

·
Registered
588 Posts
When modding, SC or turbo.

Diff is the weak link based on all the reading I've done. AP2 does have an upgraded diff casing, so you shouldn't have any worries.

If anything else breaks, it's pretty much 99% operator error (e.g. the transmission blowing up like some people complain about)

·
Registered
608 Posts
trust me... its not that much better... than an AP1 ....

main problem i noticed w/ the s2k is the differentials... atleast from what i know from... including mine, which had to get replaced on the AP1's... not so sure if they fixed that for the AP2's. maybe its just me driving it hard but ohh wells.
yea mine when out at 30,000 it was an 02

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you want a bomb-proof diff, get a Puddydad-built pumpkin. You can find them on S2ki. these are built to order by S2kpuddydad, who is a sponsor there. I was going to buy a heavily built one to handle high boost when I was going to SC my car. If I ever go that route again, I'd get one of his.

You really shouldn't need one unless you're going to be rough on the car. Besides, a blown pumpkin is cheaper than a blown trans. If the diff won't break, your trans will be the next logical thing to go.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
at 127K+ miles, it's time to replace my diff....
over the last month it's started making noises as if my tires were rubbing the fender on my old civic... eventhough the suspension/tires/rims are stock, anytime i made a tight turn.

and lately, it makes whining noises anytime there's a speed difference between the wheels whever hitting a bump, making a turn, etc...

and the gas pedal feels very rough, especially going uphill...

i used to get 30 miles to the gallon... once my diff started acting up, i'm only getting 26.

i've never launched the car...
the only thing my car sees is the autocross and 90 mile daily commutes...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts