Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
278 Posts
well you'll need a reducer for the piping the exhaust piping is bigger than your stock piping

if your gonna do it replace the exhaust or its useless

· Registered
764 Posts
All the civic's in our crew went w/ 2.25 in piping but yeah you can go 2.5in if you want. You might notice a little less power down near 1000-2500rpm's but it helps the engine pull up top.

· Registered
764 Posts
Cost wise? It will be about the same for any type of piping. Your cost comes from the labor they do to weld it on and bend the piping, just shop around. Our whole group goes to a local muffler shop he charges $45 to run the pipes.

· Premium Member
3,213 Posts
glacius said:
get the bigger piping done too or its gonna sound like crap
especially being that it's a loud ass N1 already! Get the bigger piping bro;)

· Registered
3,020 Posts
LuckyH said:
All the civic's in our crew went w/ 2.25 in piping but yeah you can go 2.5in if you want. You might notice a little less power down near 1000-2500rpm's but it helps the engine pull up top.
Get 2.25" piping. 2.5" is to big in my opinon. They cheaper piping is crush bent. The more expensive is manderal. A lot of shops dont even have manderal benders, and if they do they will overcharge you for the piping.
Just go with 2.25" crush bent piping.

· Registered
764 Posts
Also if you want even more power get your cat cut, but the catch is you will have to get an O2 sensor simulator ($40) so that the VTEC will still engage, witout this the ECU is gonna detect a malfunfuction of the cat & not allow activation of VTEC.

· Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i dont htink my ex is a vtec :( i dont know why but it doesnt say vtec on the valve cover i always thought that all ex were vtec but i guess not or is there a possibility that it stil is

· Registered
764 Posts
Dude you have VTEC...lucky bastard:( . Anyway go out to your car & check on the engine block the code on it is D16y8. Yes all EX's are VTEC

· Registered
1,388 Posts
Trying to get the quote thing right....

How do you get the originally posted by whoever on the first line of the quote?:confused:

· Registered
764 Posts
The 6th gen civic's do not have the VTEC sign on the head. D16y8 is the engine code for the EX's engine. All D series are SOHC, Y7's are the non-VTEC & Y8's are the VTEC.

· Registered
66 Posts
Crash listen,

ALL Civic EX's are VTEC

Look to the left of your valve cover, there is a little round cylinder thing about and 1.25 inches tall, that is your vtec solenoid, this is what kicks in your vtec. Trust me you have vtec.

For your exhaust, I also have the N1with piping from a muffler shop. Take it to a muffler shop and tell them to make you 2.25 piping from the catlytic converter all the way back to the muffler. They will know what to do.

Don't get 2.50 its too big of piping, you will lose low rpm power. 2.50 and up is only for turbo or heavy modified DOHC engines. Even I only have 2.25, look at all the performance parts I have.

One thing to note, without the resonator (the smaller muffler looking thing before the muffler), it is really loud. I saw in a Sport Compact Car ad, there is a place that sells just the cat back piping with the resonator for $129. I think its options auto salon or something. I think I'll buy that soon.

Smell ya later......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.