Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i was wondering if i would be able to turbo a 91 prelude si. It has headers, a cold air, and an exhaust on it but i wanna turbo it. I have heard that you cant turbo them because ill blow my trans but other people tell me it would work out fine. What should i get and how much is it gonna run me?

· Registered
4,086 Posts
i could be wrong but i'm pretty sure you can turbo just about anything homey, just depends on how much boost you're trying to run and what kinda turbo you're lookin at, so on and so forth. where there's exhaust there's a turbo that'll work, might need some upgrades(internals) but i'm not knowledgeable enough to go into all details :dunno: as for the cost i'm sure someone will have the answer to that in a bit.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Your tranny can hold a small turbo setup nicely as long as you dont nuetral drop the hell outta it :lol

· Registered
10,346 Posts
ok yea my friend was sayin that id have a good chance of blowing my trans because its an automatic but other people say different but thanks
to be perfectly honest, you could have 5,000 horsepower and not destroy your tranny, its all about the driver mod. a 50whp motor could destroy your tranny if you drive it hard enough :lol

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
someone on here turbo'd a lawnmower engine, or was that a gocart engine.... hmm... either way it was a small 1 cylinder engine like the old briggs and straton engines that came on go carts until the go sued.

· Super Nazi Mod
5,806 Posts
Ok thanks guys if you guys have any other suggestions id appreciate it
give me a grand so I can finish my build. best suggestion you will ever hear on this site

· Registered
39 Posts
I had a auto civic that i boosted on 8psi and before that a 75 shot, and the tranny held up fine. If your going turbo you need to upgrade your fuel management. And i would recommend you not going over 8psi. Piece together a cheap kit, dont go blow $3000 on a kit.

· Registered
2,722 Posts
Here are the basics of what you'll need:

1. turbocharger (if you don't know which turbo to get, go here: Basic Turbocharging | Automotive Addicts Anonymous)
  2. turbo manifold (channels exhaust gases from your engine head to the inlet of the hot side of the turbo)
  3. downpipe (connects the hot side of the turbo to your current exhaust)
  4. ECU retune (your fuel map will need to change)
  5. Intake ductwork (connects the cool side of the turbo to your intake manifold. Make sure it's made of a material that can handle heat and pressure (like aluminum)
  6. Turbo intake ductwork (supplies air to your turbo. Put a filter on this)
  7. Wastegate (some turbochargers have one built-in. Do your research.
  8. Blow-off valve (important for engine survivability. Since you're driving an auto, I'd personally suggest a quiet one).
  9. Oil lines for the turbo. You'll need to get oil to/from the turbo, which acts as coolant and lubricant all at once.

I would also HIGHLY recommend an intercooler and some extra ductwork to hook it up. It'll improve the longevity of your engine and increase your peak power. It'll also slightly reduce the strain on your transmission since you have a larger "pressure buffer" that needs to be filled before the pressurized air gets to your engine.

If you go with a large enough turbo, your fuel system won't be able to keep up. Check the duty cycle on your injectors, and the flow rate your pump/injectors are rated for. Crunch some numbers (I don't have formulas right here for you) and see how much fuel you need to be flowing for your A/F ratio, and you shouldn't run into any problems with leaning the engine out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.