Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put lower profile tires on my car without using larger rims. I have done a fair bit of reading but I want some advice from someone more experienced than myself. I understand that doing this will mess with my speedometer/odometer/ABS/etc. I have had undersized wheels on all winter and it seems to me that over-all wheel size is not that important.

I have a '97 Honda Civic EX (Canadian--it is almost the same as the LX in the USA).

This car should have P185/65R14 but I bought it used with P185/70R14.
I am currently using 175/70R13 w/snow tires and I am looking to replace the all-season tires on the 14" rims with new summer tires.

I would like to try P185/55R14 or perhaps P195/55R14. I want summer tires and lower profile tires for increased handling and cornering. That said I am on a budget and this is a family car after all : ( I cannot afford to buy larger rims and I really should not be spending more than $90 per tire (not installed of course).

Is this feasible/advisable or am I missing something?

Also should I be posting this in the Civic forum? If so will an admin please move this for me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I tried it once when I used my spare nitto tires as replacement with my worn out tires. Yes it can be done, but you will notice that the ride will be more bump and wheel it self will look smaller as should be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts