Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a ZEX nitrous kit for my civic, and I just replaced the clutch and flywheel. It is a light flywheel and an OEM spec clutch. If I run a 75 shot, will it ruin my clutch. It is not like it is constant HP, just a temporary stress, but racing is when all the stress is. Will my clutch be a bitch and slip?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
75 shot is pretty high for a stock clutch... but if you're using a WOT switch and you let off the gas when shifting (no powershifting), then the n2o stops spraying during the shift and you wouldn't slip too badly, my friend has a b16 hatch with the stock clutch and an 85 shot and it only slips if he tries to feather the launch and the clutch gets hot. But.... I don't own a civic so i wouldn't know for sure. i'd say try it and if it slips too much then step down to a 50 or 35 shot or get a better clutch. good luck.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
wheatfroggy17 said:
I just purchased a ZEX nitrous kit for my civic, and I just replaced the clutch and flywheel. It is a light flywheel and an OEM spec clutch. If I run a 75 shot, will it ruin my clutch. It is not like it is constant HP, just a temporary stress, but racing is when all the stress is. Will my clutch be a bitch and slip?
it will slip after about 5-6 bottles if ur clutch is in good condition now

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
My Z6 stood up to a 75 shot on a stock clutch for a little while, but it wont last long.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My clutch has about 100 miles on it. I don't know how long I'll keep the nitrous and everything, and I don't plan on using it too much, just a couple times a month. But if it will last a "short while", then that will do. I was just afraid on flooring it, and the revs going up, but the car going nowhere. Thanks. Rep for all you.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I can't say anything about how much torque holding ability the OEM clutch has... but I can tell you that if it's not slipping while spraying in a higher gear (4th), it is not likely to have a shorter life than on stock power. The slipping is what burns them up. As long as you aren't spraying between gears, and the clutch doesn't slip WHILE you're spraying in a gear, you'll be all right.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
So you guys dont think an OEM replacement clutch could handle about 170whp? Im askin because im in the same situation, im having an Exedy clutch installed and hopefully getting a 60 shot with I/E and maybe a header. Ive heard it should be good for those numbers but it sounds like some of you guys are saying different.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
eg6hatch315 said:
So you guys dont think an OEM replacement clutch could handle about 170whp? Im askin because im in the same situation, im having an Exedy clutch installed and hopefully getting a 60 shot with I/E and maybe a header. Ive heard it should be good for those numbers but it sounds like some of you guys are saying different.
like u say "OEM" replacement..its made for stock hp and driving...with all that extra hp and torque. no it wouldnt..get the ACT street disc and u should be set.

i used to think the same thing about clutches but speking thru experience...65 shots and up will burn ur clutch after a couple bottles. it did on my brand new 2000 civic EX with a 65 shot and now with my 2001 integra GSR engine when i first got the swap a few years back.

wat will happen is when u hit the nitrous it will slip but will work normal on regular driving..hense cant handle the extra power but works fine off the bottle

Reactions: eg6hatch315

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a stock cluth of a 99 Civic SI and i have gone through so many bottles and it is still mint (75 shot) you should be alright.

·
Registered
20,271 Posts
YellowSI said:
i have a stock cluth of a 99 Civic SI and i have gone through so many bottles and it is still mint (75 shot) you should be alright.
launch with the nitrous and i promise u it will slip u must be thise third gear nitrous guys. also do u even have a bottle heater? maybe ur pressure is too low. :rolleyes

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I think my last post still stands... but I will clarify one thing: You will NOT be able to spray during launch with the stock clutch. No way.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Nathan123 said:
I think my last post still stands... but I will clarify one thing: You will NOT be able to spray during launch with the stock clutch. No way.
Well, you can... but you really have to know how and what the limits are. Right outta the hole no, but you can still spray through 1st. I was able to with my Z6, but yoou hafta wait till the r's are high enough. And if you have shitty tires ir even small tires you can spin easily.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
civic_x_95 said:
Well, you can... but you really have to know how and what the limits are. Right outta the hole no, but you can still spray through 1st. I was able to with my Z6, but yoou hafta wait till the r's are high enough. And if you have shitty tires ir even small tires you can spin easily.
Launch = the time when you increase revs and let out clutch to get the car moving. You CAN NOT spray during this time on the stock clutch.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Nathan123 said:
Launch = the time when you increase revs and let out clutch to get the car moving. You CAN NOT spray during this time on the stock clutch.
Yup he's right that clutch will get red hot really fast and start slipping like mad and then you're screwed cauz it'll slip through the rest of your couple gears too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts