Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 85 honda civic that has been sitting for a long time. I got the car running. But here is the trick, I have never seen so many vacuum lines in my life. This car is just going to be for a endurance race, and everything is going out of it. So I need to just get it running good and thats it no performance. SO I need someone to help me get rid of all the vaccuum lines and basically let me know what do I need to keep. I dont need any emmissions, or anything. Just need to rip it all out, but dont want to till i know what im ripping out and dont need! The car will crank and run now, but when i try to rev it up it will die, then I can crank it back up again and same thing. It will idle, then yesterday i let it run for like five to ten minutes, then revved it up and it stayed revved up and i had to kill it cause It wouldnt come back down. I have checked all vacuum lines for leaks and fixed what it had. And put some seafoam in the tank to clean out the fuel system. The car still smokes and is running rich? Can someone help me know what to do next!? Im tired of messing with it, i have been just trying everything.. I need it to run the simplest form possible, gut it all! ?? Please help...?? can someone just give me some options to try? Kinda an erratic idling! Will just go up and down sometimes on its own! Its the 1300 4 speed?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW thats all you got, that helps a lot man thanks.. I obviously need someone that knows what to do here? Didnt asnwer my own question or it would be done already!?? WTF.. Anyways, i need to know what vaccuum lines I can get rid of and what I have to have to" run"!?

· Registered
2,722 Posts
Are you carburetted or fuel injected? I believe the 1300 only came carb'd, but it sounds like you need to lean out your mixture. Clean your air filter, and possibly install smaller jets. Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, and cap off any vac lines that vent to atmosphere. Make SURE the carb has ample vacuum, and don't "bark" the throttle. Carbs don't like to be barked.

Also, check to see if you have a power jet on the carb (throttle-activated jet that essentially floods the carb when you hammer down on the throttle. This problem is almost definitely your air/fuel mixture, so you're going to have to spend some time figuring out what RPM ranges are causing the issues (since your idle is fine, there probably isn't anything mechanically wrong). I'm betting you don't have enough air going in for the amount of fuel that's being dumped.

If possible, post a video of it idling, and show us how it actually dies when it does. Is it making any mechanical noises? Clacking, clanking, or pinging is very bad.

*edit* Oh, and seafoam isn't nearly as good as a cap-full of "mystery oil" in a full gas tank, for carb'd engines. Pick some up, you won't regret it. Locate your mixture screws on the carb.

... know what? I'm just going to write a how-to on tuning carbs for my site. Ask me again tomorrow, and provide as much information as possible. Everything you can possibly come up with. How are you building it up for enduros? Are you racing roadrunner? Are you keeping this engine? Are you allowed to fuel inject it or set it up for forced induction? Can you raise the compression? What's the plan, and how far are you going with your tuning?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Def a carb motor, and no noises. Im just building it for the 24 hours of lemons race, so enduro. I just need this thing to run and go. Thats it, and it just like falls on its face when I give it the gas now, but idling is fine. Sometimes erattic!?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.