Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the people that I have talke to about turbos they saw that if I wanna go crazy I need a custom setup. Since I know nothing aobut turbos I was wondering is some people could post some nice custom turbo setups for me to think aobut. Thanks.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recently purchased it. It is a ef model but it has a d16a engine. I aslo think that the previous owner did a lot of internal work becasue it is much faster than it should be. The owner showed me his track slip. I forgot the mph but the time at the1/4 mile was a nice 13.6. I figure he did some heavy duty alterations to the engine. Me not being very mechanicaly inclined have no idea what he might have done. Its fast as hell and want to make it even faster now that I am fixing it up more. Engine and looks.

· Registered
554 Posts
13.6 is a good time for a d16. You might want to check into whats done to the motor. Especially if you're thinking about going boost. If the head already has a high compression, it might not be a good idea. I'd check on the motor work that's done first. Adding a turbo to worked n/a D16 might be the worst thing you could do.

· Registered
220 Posts
get a small turbo that spools up quick and your compression even if its 11:1 is ok for a small sized turbo.. if you find out the block has been sleeved and other work done to it then get a bigger turbo and lower the compression, get fuel management system and you will be in the 11's for faster veary easy... good luck..

· Registered
1,675 Posts
First and formost find out what work was done to the engine by the previous owner.You will be wasting a lot of time,money and maybe even a strong engine if you try to add a turbo to you obvioudsly n/a tuned engine.save your self a BIG headace and fin out what was done.High compression,cams tuned for n/a, and agressive fuel and timing maps are not good for forced induction.Sure you can run high compression and a turbo but trust me you don't wan't to for a street set-up.I'm runing 10.2:1 compression and it's hard enough to tune let alone 11.0:1 or even 11.5:1 compression.When it comes to boost and high compression unless you really know what your doing and you have a programable engine management system don't even waste your time.
I recoment that you
A) find out what engine work was done by the previous owner
B) read up on how turbo's work,tuning of turbo's,engine dynamics,and probably the basics of how engine's work (esp the honda engine when it comes to modifying).
And please don'r go out and buy a turbo kit because somebody recomends it UNTIL you know what you're dealing with.

· Registered
106 Posts
Why the hell did you buy a car without knowing what mods it has? Give us the whole deal on this car, meaning condition, price, mods that you know about, I'm sure I'm not the only curious one. Is it a mostly show car you bought off someone?:confused: :confused: :confused:

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, the car is def. NOT show. when I bought it, it was a stock body. It was just lowered and had some toyo tires. Since then I have changed to yokohama and have added a body kit. I really have no idea as to the mods on this car. I don't know shit about engines. I just know that car halls A**. I just know that the engine is a d16a. Therefore he had an engine swap becasue to my recallection the only came in si. My car has no sunroof. Therefore ist no si. Thats all I know guys.

· Registered
2,120 Posts
do a compression test to see what kind of compression ratio you are lookin at on yer car. hi compression pistons wouldnt go too well with turbo.

Abaz's site about homemade turbos is a great site. ever since my car has been turboed i learned so much about puttin together turbo kits and i could basically put together a nice setup for 1500 bucks...thas what im looking at for my friend in our crew and my little brother. my turbo was custom done at a shop using a turbonetics t3super60 turbo and a spearco fmic measuring...24",8",3"(core).=)

· Registered
220 Posts
You need to know exactly what has been done to the motor... just finding out the compression is not enough.. you need to know all the details such as bore size and if there are any other small tid bit mods like ignition and all the other small things you over look when doing an install which makes a difference...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.