Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 DX Civic hatch... I was wondering for curiousity reasons if it is possible to add power steering to this particular car, and if so... what all is involved/needed to do so? The motor I am looking at getting to replace the d15b2 with is a DOHC ZC and it comes with a power steering pump. Just wondering if I could remove that pump if converting to power steering is unlikely or non economically viable... Let me know!! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
If there's a version of your particular model that had power steering then yes you can add power steering to the car.

Off the top of my head you'll need:

1. A power steering rack setup from a donor car or the parts store.

2. Both the high pressure and low pressure lines from the rack to the pump.

3. Correct pump for the engine and bracketry to hold it there (which you've got) and a belt and crank pulley if you don't have the correct one.

4. Power steering fluid :p

5. You might also need the lower part of the steering shaft coming from the rack to the upper steering shaft but don't quote me on this.

I may have forgotten something but this is about all there is to a power steering system....

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so essentially it'll be a pain in the ass to hook up.... Alright, well on the ZC DOHC motor can I take the PS pump off without having any problems with leaking fluids, or anything like that? If I don't need it, I don't want it. =)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
it's not really a pain in the ass...you've got the two threaded ends of the rack which hook to the front wheels, and two bolts that hold the rack in place...you can get to them all with the car jacked up and the wheels off...then it's just a matter of running the hoses from the rack to the pump and filling the system...

not all that hard but yeah, if you don't want to bother with it just take the pump and bracket off the engine and keep the manual steering...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts