Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while I had the wheel off I notice the rubber boot on the rack and pinion was broken. It's a 93 four door. What can I do? Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
105 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, (someone could correct me on this) it's just a dust boot on the steering. Something you want to replace, but the world won't come to an end (it's just a piston in there, the boot just keeps dirt and grime from breaking down the rod's lip seal over time.)

You should be able to get a relacement boot... I've seen some (not necessarily for this app though...) that come with a split down the length of them that allows you to easily replace the old one (no disassembly required,) and then use epoxy to seal the split before putting the straps on it.

Now if it's your CV boot that's split. That's an emergency...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
NordiX said:
If I'm not mistaken, (someone could correct me on this) it's just a dust boot on the steering. Something you want to replace, but the world won't come to an end (it's just a piston in there, the boot just keeps dirt and grime from breaking down the rod's lip seal over time.)

You should be able to get a relacement boot... I've seen some (not necessarily for this app though...) that come with a split down the length of them that allows you to easily replace the old one (no disassembly required,) and then use epoxy to seal the split before putting the straps on it.

Now if it's your CV boot that's split. That's an emergency...
correct for the most part, but the replacement boot isn't split. that's just the cv boots like that. but u can still get replacement boots for cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts