Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i was wondering can you turbo the D16Y4 SOHC 1.6L non ***** has any one done this and i want to run around 10-12psi daily. should i do a engine transfer or just turbo this

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
you can turbo anything, if you want to run 10-12 daily you would prolly need 8.5:1 c/r pistons and upgraded rods

and its vtec, not v t e c h

·
Registered
320 Posts
you can run 12psi on 10:1 comression as long as you have good fuel managment like standalone with good tuning. You can blow a bullet proof motor without tuning.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
_Robert_ said:
hey guys,

i was wondering can you turbo the D16Y4 SOHC 1.6L non ***** has any one done this and i want to run around 10-12psi daily. should i do a engine transfer or just turbo this

How much power are you looking to make?
Pick a hp number not a psi number.
You can run 10psi easily on that engine if you have the rite set-up.

·
Registered
854 Posts
you can leave your motor stock if your goals are only 150-200whp

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
if youd be satisfied with 150, i think im runnin at least 160 with stock motor and no fuel management or tuning what-so-ever

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my motor is the sohc non vtec so i dont think mine is goin to be 150 at the wheels so i need to do something

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Get yourself a t3 (.42/.48) turbo
turbo manifold,intercooler and hondata with some 450cc + injectors.
You should be safe up to about 10psi (or about 175whp)
Don't forget the other stuff like charge pipes,bov,wg,etc etc etc. I just didn't want to make a list.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
dsrspwr said:
you wont need a wastegate, t3's are internal wastegate
You still need a wastegate :p
I know that they are internally gated, but you can still switch to external if you like. I just didn't want to get to indepth with the list so I figured that I'd throw that on there so some smartass didn't hop on and say "you forgot a wg". ;)
While we're at it don't forget oil feed and drain lines, colder spark plugs, patience, time, Blah blah blah
:D

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
no, actually if he went t3, he would NOT need a wastegate. im doin fine boosting off the wastegate at 4psi

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
1st off d16y4????? :confused

only ones i ever heard of are :

D16Y5 Civic HX 96-00
D16Y7 Civic DX,LX,CX 96-00
D16Y8 Civic EX 96-00

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah honda told me that it is a D16Y4 i thought it was strange to but yeah and it is on the block to so yeah D16Y4 is what it.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
you dont need a wastegate to run a t3 turbo, it comes with one already. if you want to up it to 10, you buy a boost controller

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Shift said:
1st off d16y4????? :confused

only ones i ever heard of are :

D16Y5 Civic HX 96-00
D16Y7 Civic DX,LX,CX 96-00
D16Y8 Civic EX 96-00
Take a look at where he is located: Australia, thats why it probably has a different engine code from what we are used to seeing in the U.S. Your motor is probably similar to the D16y7.

Anyways, if your car doesn't have VTEC, don't worry about it if your going to boost, believe it or not, its actually easier to tune a non-VTEC than a VTEC car...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts