Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

can you turbo a D16Y4

17K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Marlon97coupe 
#1 ·
hey guys,

i was wondering can you turbo the D16Y4 SOHC 1.6L non ***** has any one done this and i want to run around 10-12psi daily. should i do a engine transfer or just turbo this

#4 ·
_Robert_ said:
hey guys,

i was wondering can you turbo the D16Y4 SOHC 1.6L non ***** has any one done this and i want to run around 10-12psi daily. should i do a engine transfer or just turbo this

How much power are you looking to make?
Pick a hp number not a psi number.
You can run 10psi easily on that engine if you have the rite set-up.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
Get yourself a t3 (.42/.48) turbo
turbo manifold,intercooler and hondata with some 450cc + injectors.
You should be safe up to about 10psi (or about 175whp)
Don't forget the other stuff like charge pipes,bov,wg,etc etc etc. I just didn't want to make a list.

#12 ·
dsrspwr said:
you wont need a wastegate, t3's are internal wastegate
You still need a wastegate :p
I know that they are internally gated, but you can still switch to external if you like. I just didn't want to get to indepth with the list so I figured that I'd throw that on there so some smartass didn't hop on and say "you forgot a wg". ;)
While we're at it don't forget oil feed and drain lines, colder spark plugs, patience, time, Blah blah blah
:D

#15 ·
1st off d16y4????? :confused

only ones i ever heard of are :

D16Y5 Civic HX 96-00
D16Y7 Civic DX,LX,CX 96-00
D16Y8 Civic EX 96-00

#18 ·
Shift said:
1st off d16y4????? :confused

only ones i ever heard of are :

D16Y5 Civic HX 96-00
D16Y7 Civic DX,LX,CX 96-00
D16Y8 Civic EX 96-00
Take a look at where he is located: Australia, thats why it probably has a different engine code from what we are used to seeing in the U.S. Your motor is probably similar to the D16y7.

Anyways, if your car doesn't have VTEC, don't worry about it if your going to boost, believe it or not, its actually easier to tune a non-VTEC than a VTEC car...

#26 ·
D16Y4 Turbo

Now I've seen D16Y4 with Turbo done up to 358.9 HP believe that? A lots of modification though. But if you are running stock? Like ME!?! You can here's the list:

D16 Manifold with hole for Wastegate
T3/T4 Turbo
T3/T4 Downpipe
.38 Tial External Wastegate (Keep your engine safe)
Blow of Valves (Keep your Engine safe)
OIL Feed + Return
PIGGYBACK ECU (such as APEXI ASFC) you won't need a new ECU.
Intercooler and Pipes

Those are the main point to get your Turbo running safe with External Wastegate you will run stock 6 to 7 PSI. But if you are going to boost, I suggest you de-compression your engine (meaning upgrading your Internal engine) which means more cash out from your pocket!

I just installed mine in with AC/Compressor still attached :clappy I fired up a few times already its good safe, but when you do it yourself make sure you do it PROPERLY!

#30 ·
D16Y4 Turbo

Now I've seen D16Y4 with Turbo done up to 358.9 HP believe that? A lots of modification though. But if you are running stock? Like ME!?! You can here's the list:

D16 Manifold with hole for Wastegate
T3/T4 Turbo
T3/T4 Downpipe
.38 Tial External Wastegate (Keep your engine safe)
Blow of Valves (Keep your Engine safe)
OIL Feed + Return
PIGGYBACK ECU (such as APEXI ASFC) you won't need a new ECU.
Intercooler and Pipes

Those are the main point to get your Turbo running safe with External Wastegate you will run stock 6 to 7 PSI. But if you are going to boost, I suggest you de-compression your engine (meaning upgrading your Internal engine) which means more cash out from your pocket!

I just installed mine in with AC/Compressor still attached :clappy I fired up a few times already its good safe, but when you do it yourself make sure you do it PROPERLY!
Can you make me a list of what i need to make my d16 turbo i want around 400 hp

#28 ·
:lmao

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.