Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Honda Civic EX standard that was in a parking lot with rising water during heavy rains. Happened 10 days ago then again last weekend. Both times water seeped into the cabin leaving 1-2'' water standing on the floor which I promptly vacuumed out and dried the best I could.

The car started up fine after each flood, but after the last episode the CEL came on. Other than wet brakes, the car drove just fine and all of the electronics seemed to work, but the CEL stayed on. I took it to the Honda dealer and they ran diagnostics. Told me that the ECU was "bad" and would need to be replaced. They also told me they would need to clean the connectors and dry out the carpet to fix the problem. They also told me the malfunction code they got was 1106, which I looked up and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the ECU.

Price tag $1700 ($720 just for the ECU part). That is awfully steep and I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice on whether I can do any of this myself. I know ECUs have to be programmed by an experienced mechanic, but what about drying/cleaning the connectors and maybe buying a used ECU online of the same model and putting it in myself. Is this doable or will I end up having to pay a ridiculous amount anyway?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In doing some more research, I found that code p1106 refers to the barometric pressure sensor circuit. I'll have to assume that since the CEL came on after water damage and the Baro circuit is within the ECU, that it needs to be replaced.

If I were to take a chance and try to buy a used ECU of the exact same model as the current one will it require specific keys from the original car, or could I continue to use my own? How complicated is installation?

· Registered
10,346 Posts
reset the ecu by pulling off the negative cable on your battery, and wait a few minutes, then put it back on and start the car. If the CEL comes on, then go ahead and find a used ecu on ebay or in a junkyard. No more then 200 bucks, ive found chipped ecus for tuning as low as 60 bucks before.

keep us updated

BTW the ecu is behind the carpet of the passenger side footwell

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.