Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...

my 97 civic hatch is up there in mileage (about 290K) and lots of things annoy me with the car as far as the noises it makes in day to day driving...

the noises happen when hitting medium to large bumps...
loud squeaks and scraping sounds...

i know that some are coming from the hatch door itself... i've heard these same sounds on a friend's 99 hatch...

the other i'm not sure...
it sounds like they are coming from the suspension, leading me to think that i should change my bushings...

i know if i change all of them, especially to polyurethane, the ride will get very stiff and cost an arm and a leg in labor...

am i correct in that old bushings make squeaking noises when they rot and get old?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
You're partially correct. Rubber bushings do not squak. Lack of rubber bushings will cause squeaking, because metal is rubbing on metal. New polyurethane bushings will almost certainly squeak. Mine certainly do, but they come with lubricant which helps. You'll have to reapply it regularly.

Now, as far as "suspension" goes, it could mean a lot. There are "body" bushings as well, which often go bad after about 10 years or so. They cause squeaks like you wouldn't believe, flexing the whole frame this way and that, and without them, you could end up with a bent/twisted/totalled frame. Look into body bushings, it may be worth your while. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
419 Posts
without a doubt, you have worn bushings, and replacing them wether it be with OEM parts or aftermarket will make all the difference in the world, trust me, I'm sure your suspension has had it... these are all normal wear and tear parts that will fade over time, and in the end should be replaced, if you plan on keeping your car for a while more.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how much does a job like that cost, to replace body bushings?

i'm trying to keep the car indefinitely, as it is a sentimental commodity...
one person in the past had mentioned to go to the honda dealer and get a lube job done?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Body bushings would be expensive to have replaced, probably somewhere in the vicinity of $500 or so. I don't know as though that's the problem, I just wanted to make sure you knew it's a possibility. I'd focus on the suspension bushings first, but polyurethane bushings definitely have a tendency to squeak like there's no tomorrow. I still love mine, they tightened up the whole car.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
My car has the same problem.. It's about 10 or 11 years old now and you can hear metal vibrating or hitting something when a bump is hit.. I might not have a honda, but this is useful information. As for my car, I've been told that replacing the shock mounts would help with the rough ride which in turn I'm guessing is related to noises also. Now I'm a noob to the technical stuff, but my guess is that rubber brushings and shock mounts are just two different terms meaning the same thing?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
well, your shock mounts are actually one of the many suspension bushings you have on your car. bushing is a universal term for just about anything on your car that isn't a gasket. you probably have them on your control arms, the rubber/polyurethane of your motor mounts are considered bushing, etc. just about any rubber made to lessen the shock of movement in the car is a bushing, so you're actually completely right. But that's only a piece of the puzzle. The only reason I bring up body bushings instead of suspension bushings is because they're often overlooked because they fail less commonly (your body flexes less than your suspension moves, so it makes sense).

·
Registered
124 Posts
The bushings were shot on my truck so i ordered some new ones and i took out the bolts one at a time and jacked up the cab and slid the new one in and then after each one bolt it back up.

Would be less ol skool on a car probably though

Thanks,
Raul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.