Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried a diy spark plug replacement...so i headed down to autozone and grab me a full set of denzo standards but from what i just read on the forums i see that ngk is better but 3 of the spark plugs starting from left to right came out no problem but the last (which actually the first one i started on) is not comin out...i think its stripped and i have no idea how to get it out. i was told you should let the engine cool down cause spark plugs get hot and can strip easier if you dont let them cool down but i guess i wasnt thinking of that while i was doin the project. please help me cause im a broke azz college student and dont think i can afford to take this to a professional mechanic shop and was wonderin can i take the stripped spark plug out myself

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
if you really fucked up the threads the head is going to have to be milled out and a sleeve inserted to bring it back down to size, then its going to have to be re-threaded...........

this requires machine shop equipment and experience beyond what it sounds like you have, so ur probly out a couple hundred bucks......

next time you do a diy job that you really dont know how to do, look it up online or in the haynes or chiltons manual for your car (if you dont own these, GET THEM, worth the $10-$15)

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
hobie237 said:
if you really fucked up the threads the head is going to have to be milled out and a sleeve inserted to bring it back down to size, then its going to have to be re-threaded...........

this requires machine shop equipment and experience beyond what it sounds like you have, so ur probly out a couple hundred bucks......

next time you do a diy job that you really dont know how to do, look it up online or in the haynes or chiltons manual for your car (if you dont own these, GET THEM, worth the $10-$15)
cant you just take out the head and re-tap it with a tap and dye set

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
nfscg said:
cant you just take out the head and re-tap it with a tap and dye set

you could, but that would require doing it precisely to match a slightly larger spark plug size, plus then you would have one plug bigger than the others....

i cross threaded a plug in my truck last year because i am a dumbass, and when i started it it blew straight out and stripped the threads and i had to do what i just described... not too bad because i have access to mills....

the sleeve takes up slack and room for error in the tapping.... plus it will be stronger than stock

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
dood, i feel you, i have a stripped valve cover bolt. not as serious, but i dont have the knowledge to DIY, or the money to take it to a shop... :( good luck bro, listen to these guys, from what i read, they got good ideas.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
nodoubt711 said:
i tried a diy spark plug replacement...so i headed down to autozone and grab me a full set of denzo standards but from what i just read on the forums i see that ngk is better but 3 of the spark plugs starting from left to right came out no problem but the last (which actually the first one i started on) is not comin out...i think its stripped and i have no idea how to get it out. i was told you should let the engine cool down cause spark plugs get hot and can strip easier if you dont let them cool down but i guess i wasnt thinking of that while i was doin the project. please help me cause im a broke azz college student and dont think i can afford to take this to a professional mechanic shop and was wonderin can i take the stripped spark plug out myself
What exactly makes you think you have it stripped, is it just not moving? sometimes it takes some elbow grease to break the spark plugs loose. If it is stripped then what part, the threads or the hex nut part? Just keep trying to unscrew it even if it feels like it's stripping, you'll strip the spark plug before you damage the head... Also make sure you're using the right tools and wait till the engine has cooled down.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
93h22ajspec said:
you could tap it while it is still on there we have done it at my tech school b4
really? wouldnt this risk putting metal shavings in the engine????? just thinking about it... maybe its safe... i dunno... but i dont think somebody who messed up the spark plug change shouldnt be tapping spark plug holes with it on the engine...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
hobie237 said:
really? wouldnt this risk putting metal shavings in the engine????? just thinking about it... maybe its safe... i dunno... but i dont think somebody who messed up the spark plug change shouldnt be tapping spark plug holes with it on the engine...

well i mean you could take an air nozzle and blow the shavings out the best you could and the rest of them if anywould get thrown out by the valves abd what not

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
93h22ajspec said:
well i mean you could take an air nozzle and blow the shavings out the best you could and the rest of them if anywould get thrown out by the valves abd what not

i see.... i'm still hesitant to do that, a couple of pieces of metal in there can do a ton of damage... but it could be a good option...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts