Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dont know why, was thinkn maybe i m kinda clogged up somewhere in my cooling system? was considering hard wiring my electric fan but dont know which fan to hardwire, they both seem to come on for cooling, but i think one also comes on when i turn on my a/c

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
turn on car. note both fans as off. turn on ac. note which fan turns on. the other one(off) is for cooling.
as far as overheating, how old is the thermostat? do you have proper amounts of green in the reservoir and radiator? any leaks? get a pressure tester and see.

has the water pump ever been changed?

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
another easy way to tell which is the radiator and which is for a/c, the one for a/c has a/c lines going to it! :lol

goober :p

seriously though, check the thermostat, then check the fan switch, then the fan itself.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my old motor never got that hot so i used its thermastat and my fan does come on buy doesnt say on long at all, water pump either works or it dont right???but no its old, and all is nice and green no leaks, temp gauge isnt saying its too hot so also changed both sensors under the dizzy off my old block as i know them to be fine, but if i run the car in this hot weather it goes from no reading to just under half in like 5-10 minutes and if i drive for like a half hour and pop the hood it feels way too hot, but im not fully like boiling over or leaking, it just seems too hot like i can only put my hand on the valve cover for like 3 seconds before i cant take it

·
Registered
908 Posts
I think that's normal. If you drive the car for a while it'll be pretty damn hot. Enough to fry an egg instantly.

Same thing on every Honda I've ever encountered. One of them being a 4th gen Civic, two 5th gen Civics, a 92 Accord (whatever Gen that is), and various others.

When I change my oil I like to get the engine warm first. The valve cover is about as hot as you described every time: too hot to touch for more than a couple seconds. It has always been like that for my cars.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well slipjack i think my motor is fine otherwise its just morning condinsation that i was seeing cus i started it on a hot afternoon and no stream or condinsation, not losing fluid that i can tell, so i might ok after all, but it just seems way hot!!!

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
90lxcivicnocat said:
but if i run the car in this hot weather it goes from no reading to just under half in like 5-10 minutes and if i drive for like a half hour and pop the hood it feels way too hot, but im not fully like boiling over or leaking, it just seems too hot like i can only put my hand on the valve cover for like 3 seconds before i cant take it
thats perfectly normal. as long as temperature gauge never goes past the half way and your fan kicks in when its supposed to everything is ok.

for the summer time you can try using 70/30 mixture of water/coolant and some RedLine water wetter. just remember to use distilled water and before the winter hits go back to using 60/40 or 50/50 water/coolant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Civic overheating

:bash Yeah i just started having the same probelm on my civic. Stupid me went and replaced the 20 dollar relay for the cooiling fan, which of course did not fix the problem. Going to buy new thermostat today. hopefully that fixes it.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
karlwunder said:
:bash Yeah i just started having the same probelm on my civic. Stupid me went and replaced the 20 dollar relay for the cooiling fan, which of course did not fix the problem. Going to buy new thermostat today. hopefully that fixes it.
is it boiling over??how do you know the fan isnt coming on??you can test your termastat by putting it in a pot of boiling water, to see if it opens or not, to be sure wether or not that was your problem, if u take it out replace it its like 12 bucks usually. u also might want to check to see that your heater core isnt plugged up too, does your heater work?
my car just seems to run hot, i havent figured out why but its not causing me any problems it just worries me, but i hope u get your car figured out :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Overheating

:fear well thermostat did not fix it either. Crap. I have since had a few of my more mechanically inclined friends take a look at it and thru their infinite wisdom, have found out that my cooling fan is shot. Freakin Great :bomb
So i guess the moral of the story is, if you dont know, ask someone who miht have a clue. :wow Thanks for all of the suggestions and help though.
Now does anyone know where i can find a new hood? the radiator hose blew twice and coated the underside of the hood with Antifreeze and the constant overheating has basically started cooking the paint right off the hood. Wish i had pictures..... :cry

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
karlwunder said:
:fear well thermostat did not fix it either. Crap. I have since had a few of my more mechanically inclined friends take a look at it and thru their infinite wisdom, have found out that my cooling fan is shot. Freakin Great :bomb
So i guess the moral of the story is, if you dont know, ask someone who miht have a clue. :wow Thanks for all of the suggestions and help though.
Now does anyone know where i can find a new hood? the radiator hose blew twice and coated the underside of the hood with Antifreeze and the constant overheating has basically started cooking the paint right off the hood. Wish i had pictures..... :cry
i would try painting the hood since its unlikely u will find a hood with the same color paint, try finding the closest color in rattle can 4 cans will be enough, buy two cans of clearcoat if u want it to look a little prettier, take your time paint it slow, if u take your time rattle can can look good with just a little practice, and hey you can keep painting it till you get it right, i suggest removing the hood so that u dont spend alota time taping off the rest of the car, its just 4 bolts usually, get some 400 or higher like 800 and wet sand the paint between coats, also make sure u prep the hood really good first, if u havent done this kinda thing before just ask and ill tell u what i know and a few other people will too,good luck

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
useless info

50/50 - protects from -37° C (-35° F) to 106° C (223° F)

70/30 - protects from -55° C (-67° F) to 113° C (235° F)

hotter protection is achieved using pressure.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HondatechAV6 said:
useless info

50/50 - protects from -37° C (-35° F) to 106° C (223° F)

70/30 - protects from -55° C (-67° F) to 113° C (235° F)

hotter protection is achieved using pressure.
thats not useless info , thats good stuff :number1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.