Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a salavage 97 accord dx. 2.2l non-vtec. I was driving it and all of a sudden the temp gauge shoot up almost to near hot from normal. I turn on the heat on full blast and it goes back to normal. It happen on the freeway and city driving. What could be the problem? since the car was salvage with front end damage they and put in a new radiator.

When i turn the car off car, i checked the radiator fan and it is blowing air back toward the engine( sucking the hot from the rad), isnt it supposed to blow toward the radiator, i'm thinking the idiot that repair the car installed the fan blades backwards. Or could it be the coolant temp sensors, or something else like the thermostat. I'm stumped please help me out. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
198 Posts
did you check the coolant? also make sure the coolant system is bled, if you get those air bubbles in it, it will overheat. and it shouldn't be a thermostat unless it got stuck shut, which could be the issue. and I believe the fans are one piece not just blades, it's pretty hard to install them backwards, so probably not that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
phathom said:
did you check the coolant? also make sure the coolant system is bled, if you get those air bubbles in it, it will overheat. and it shouldn't be a thermostat unless it got stuck shut, which could be the issue. and I believe the fans are one piece not just blades, it's pretty hard to install them backwards, so probably not that.
The coolant is fine. How do you bled the coolant system? the fan is one piece, but i can take the fan blades out and reverse them, its being held together by a nut. As the blades are sitting now its not blowing the backside of the radiator it, but pulling the air and blowing toward the engine.

Does you blow the air toward the radiator or suck the heat from the rad?

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
chino28 said:
The coolant is fine. How do you bled the coolant system? the fan is one piece, but i can take the fan blades out and reverse them, its being held together by a nut. As the blades are sitting now its not blowing the backside of the radiator it, but pulling the air and blowing toward the engine.

Does you blow the air toward the radiator or suck the heat from the rad?
to make sure u dont have air in the lines, do this when its not hott :bash , look at the thermistat. youll see a nipple thing. turn it an you see water to drain out. that will help u get air out of the system if u have any. i like to squeeze the hose when i do this. keep an eye on the coolant in the rad to make sure it doesnt get to low. only use distilled water.

hope i helped some. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
your manual should show you how, if not you start the car and let it build up some pressure (keep it running), there is a bleed valve next to the thermostat housing, you open it up and there should be coolant with air coming out, when only air free coolant comes out, tighten it back up, tada you bled your system. may be slightly different in your car than mine, but really shouldn't be. And not sure about fans atm, 1 logic suggests it should blow at the radiator to cool it down, another suggest that it kicks on and helps pull air through the radiator faster when it is moving while simultaniously cooling the block some. I think it should be the first, but that's just me, consult your manual if you have any doubts on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.