Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Rex is pulling subtly to the right side if I keep the wheel straight. I've had an alignment done at it isn't that. I don't think it's my caster because it's not any harder to turn. Could it possibly be my tie rods? I don't wanna waste any more money trying to figure out wtf this is. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
torque steer? is it just when ur accelerating or when ur cruising????

try driving on the wrong side of the road...it may be that ur alignment is perfect and the slope of the road is causing you to slide down....

be careful when driving on the wrong side of the road to check this....like only do it when you can see the road and that there is no traffic coming...lol

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all the time, but it's easier to notice at say 50mph. My tires are all at 30psi, and I tried many different roads, still the same. It's pretty subtle, but I can change lanes with the steering wheel straight in about 3-5 seconds, to give you an idea.

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
Put your front end up on jackstands, and shake the front wheels to see how much play you've got. If you feel a lot, it could mean your tie rods are going. Do you have any strange tire wear?

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
civic1784 said:
Put your front end up on jackstands, and shake the front wheels to see how much play you've got. If you feel a lot, it could mean your tie rods are going. Do you have any strange tire wear?
Negative on the strange tire ware. I will get out my jack tomorrow though.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
civic1784 said:
Put your front end up on jackstands, and shake the front wheels to see how much play you've got.

call me a lame safety freak...but i try to stay away from putting up only one end of a car for any length of time..... i would advise putting up all four wheels.... this is why i bought a four-post lift used.... it was a pain to have cars on and off jackstands all the time

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
Every time my car gets it's inspection sticker, this is the way they check too. I don't mean shake so hard your car falls off, but enough to see if there is movement that shouldn't be there. When they do it, it's usually on 1 hydrolic jack. How's that for safety?

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hobie237 said:
putting it on one jack is fine to look at things and inspect... poke around... but i dont start working till i'm sure all the wheels are off the ground and the thing aint moving
Agreed.

I put my car up on a jack and checked out the wheels. The left side has a VERY TINY bit of play back and forth. Just enough that I can hear a tiny little clunk noise. The left side is completely solid. Could this mean new tie rod time?

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
Well it depends...

Shaking the tire with your hands at 3:00 & 9:00 is for tie rods, and lifting from 6:00 with a pry bar is for ball joints.

I don't know which what way you moved the wheel. Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
you dont here a clicking sound when turning corners at slow speeds do you? like pulling onto a road cuz thats the problem I have now and my car pulls slightly to the right and ive been told repeatedly its the CV so now that i just got a 1000$ scholarship/bursary type deal im gonna replace the axle and hopefully some other stuff

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
did you try lifting it from the bottom to check?

As far as CV joints are concerned, you should be able to get a rebuilt axle for just as cheap as the joint - so that's the route I'd go. That's what happened to me atleast, when the rubber jacket tore open. Thing was a magnet for sand.

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
civic1784 said:
did you try lifting it from the bottom to check?

As far as CV joints are concerned, you should be able to get a rebuilt axle for just as cheap as the joint - so that's the route I'd go. That's what happened to me atleast, when the rubber jacket tore open. Thing was a magnet for sand.
Good call I'll check that out again before I go and get the work done.

·
Registered
74 Posts
the rubber jacket on my cars perfectly fine so something internal is fucked ..... just to let you know

1 - 18 of 18 Posts