Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new here,
I just bought a used 99 Accord V6 and recently got some new tires, which included rotation and balance. However, the car still shakes at 60mph and up. It also shakes when I step on the brakes. So, I know it probably needs rotors or resurfacing because of the shaking when braking. The alignment seems a little off but I tested for a radial pull and it's the same. I don't think the engine mount is bad. I opened the hood and accelerated in park and the engine doesn't shake, at least it looks normal.

What else would cause the car to shake at 60 mph and up? Anything else I can loo for? Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
304 Posts
With it being a 99, I'm not sure how likely this is, but it could be the wheel bearing(s). Like i said, not sure how likely it is that that is your problem, but you don't wanna be doing 65 and have one go out on you, thats for sure.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
since you have new tires the rotors must be REALLY warped to cause a steering wheel shake without pressing the brakes.

take car of the front brake problem and then rotate the tires. if it's gone while cruising at highway speeds someone imbalanced the tire(new guy? :p )

the front mount is probably bad fyi. just hold the brakes firmly, put it in drive and snap the throttle. if there is a dull thud it's torn. (front mount - radiator side). also check the pass mount.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It could be rotors, bent rim, or as previously mentioned a wheel bearing. I am not sure about the mount problem because you would feel vibration at a stop. Do you? I would get it looked at as soon as possible because a wheel bearing is a serious thing. Losing a wheel at 60 could gets serious........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be rotors, bent rim, or as previously mentioned a wheel bearing. I am not sure about the mount problem because you would feel vibration at a stop. Do you? I would get it looked at as soon as possible because a wheel bearing is a serious thing. Losing a wheel at 60 could gets serious........

Well, I don't feel any vibrations at stop. Just feels like a normal vibration in a an old car. Then again, I'm not too sure. I will get the bearings, bent rims, and mounts looked at ASAP. I know the rotors might be warped too but that shouldn't cause the car to shake over 60mph...only when braking, right? Well thanks for the info guys. I will keep looking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts