Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my worst fear has been satisfied. My car has been stolen. Saterday night, I went out to dinner with my girlfreind and a few freinds. We left the resturant @ 8pm and by then, it was gone. Now, I didn't park it in a bad area quite the contrary, it WAS one of the safest areas. My lil' EJ was parked in a mall parking lot, under a street light by a main exit. I know I'm not alone in my misfortune, for 3 other imports (2 more civic's and 1 eclipse) that had been made over were also liberated at the same time.

I reported the loss immidately to the local police and my insurance company, yet I have no idea what else I could do. I have been pondering sueing the mall for inadiquate security (there were only 3 patrolmen on duty for a 7000 car parking lot... this is a huge freakin mall) but I don't know if this is the best course of action. Also, has anyone ever dealt with USAA Insurance for aftermarket parts?

::sigh:: No one should ever make a post like this... I dont care if you drive a Festiva with Busted up altezza lights, if that got stolen, I would be just as pissed for you.

I'm going to post the spec sheet on my 00 EJ, Silver EX. If you see any of this crap in the Baltimore MD area, let me know.

Exterior

JDM CTR fromt lip
OEM Side Skirts
OEM Fog Lamps

Interior

ITR Shift knob
DC Sports Short Shifter

Suspension

Tein HA Coil Overs with pillow ball mounts
Spoon Sports Strut Braces
Comptech Rear Sway bar kit
OZ Racing Supper Allegras
Bridgestone P-03's, 215/40/17
AEM Big Brake Kit

Engine Crap

AEM Intake
Greddy Evo Exhaust
Modified Stock Tranny (si gear set installed)
Clutch Masters Stage 2 Clutch plus Lightened flywheel

ICE
Alpine CDA-7998
JL 300/4 Amps x2
JL 500/1 Amp
JL 650 XR Components (front)
JL 525 XR Components (rear)
JL 12W3
SVR Battery
Monster cables (everything)

If you see any of this, let me know... Peace.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dam hope you find your baby back in one condition despite that's a slim chance..... btw, what is USAA insurance? never heard of it..

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
sorry to hear about your loss, it's always painful to hear about incidents like these. i'm not sure if you'd win a case against the mall, as they usually have disclaimers that cars parked in their lot are "at their own risk" and they're not help responsible for damages, theft, etc... It might be different for your mall though, so i would check their policy and possibly consult a lawyer.

regarding your aftermarket parts, i'm not sure if your insurance will cover them. you'd have a better chance of them covering them if each time you added a part, you contacted them and took your car down to them for inspection. this would mean they would have proof and records of these parts being in your vehicle, but would also mean a higher insurance premium since they would be covering those parts as well... take your receipts with you and ask. if you don't want to consult them first, again, maybe you should check with a lawyer or someone familiar with auto insurance policies. btw, with all that ICE installed, maybe you should've invested in an alarm. i know it's kinda late for that, but it's never a bad idea to have an alarm (it also lowers your insurance).

sorry to hear about your loss and sorry for giving you such a bleak perspective, but i'm just being realistic based on what i know. i hope you get your baby back soon.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Yeah, I also hate to bear bad news but when I got robbed, insurance wouldn't pay for the mods even with all the receipts.

They said though, that even though the parts were on they don't increase the resale market value of the car, and because my car was totalled and the parts were gone they would only give me the market value of the car. Which of course they lowballed me on that too.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
my insurance company refuses to insure mods. any of you know of a company that *will* insure them? i mean, if u have homeowners insurance, u can insure a lot of the stuff you have in your home. why does this not apply to a car? f'n stupid.

·
Registered
167 Posts
my insurence will cover aftermarket parts (progressive). They said that they will cover up to a grand and after that u need to get extra insurence.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...

I have been fighting with my insurance company for the past... er.. 53 days. They found what was left of my car in the middle of a ghetto. It was stripped and wrecked. The only thing they left that was aftermarket was the shifter and knob. They stayed only because of my lil' freind red locktite. USAA had no idea what half the AM parts were, I bet if they had APC on them they would know. Regardless, finally I was able to get $4k over the value of my car, which i think is better than none. I had all my reciepts, but that still didn't help me much. I talked to several lawyers, They say I don't have a leg to stand on. ::sigh:: Now I am waiting for the check that is in the mail.... then for it to clear..... then for me to get a new car. Bah... the bad thing is, I really didn't want a new car. Oh well. 14 more days and maybe I will have a car. WRX anyone? ::hiding from thrown tomatos::

I don't like where Honda is going right now. Right now they are in ultracheese-wannabe-focus land. Its such a shame. They don't have any personality now, they dont inspire the way the older B and D engine equiped Civics' did. Bah!

Email me if you have any questions. [email protected]
Peace.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts