Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, brand new here and needing some help. I have a 2000 GSR that isn't starting. I'll give you a little background:

When winter came car would occasionally start. It would always turn over but sometimes wouldn't fire. I let it sit throughout winter and bought a beater. After winter I tried to start it and it would never fire at all, just kept turning over. Replaced fuel filter and spark plugs. The car is getting both fuel and spark, we checked those. I took the car to a shop and where it's been sitting for 2 months. They *think* it's the coil/distributor that need to be replaced. The car does have some mods-header, fuel rail, etc. Just curious if there's anything else you think I should have checked or if I should just go ahead and drop the $300 to get those parts replaced?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Try sticking a screwdriver into the plug socket, and crank it over..either have your friend hold it ( :bomb )
Or..put it close to a nut, to where it doesn't touch but it can jump to ground out, to see if you have spark, if you know for sure you got spark / fuel, either

a) your plugs are backwards
b) your sparkplugs are bad
c) you dont have the grounds right
d) make sure ur not getting a cel.

For the love of god, check the firing order of the dizzy and plug wires before you go spend wastless money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
9400rpms said:
Try sticking a screwdriver into the plug socket, and crank it over..either have your friend hold it ( :bomb )
Or..put it close to a nut, to where it doesn't touch but it can jump to ground out, to see if you have spark, if you know for sure you got spark / fuel, either

a) your plugs are backwards
b) your sparkplugs are bad
c) you dont have the grounds right
d) make sure ur not getting a cel.

For the love of god, check the firing order of the dizzy and plug wires before you go spend wastless money.

We've done that and for sure are getting great spark. :lol2

We've also checked the firing order and all is well, so I'm afraid replacing some stuff may be in order.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
JBauerly said:
It just turns over. Doesn't even try to start and stall. It's weird and frustrating.
you 100% sure on the firing order of everything???

if so its gotta be a bad dizzy in gerenal either that or your ecu is bad.
Shit happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have tried jumping and no luck. We loosened a nut on my fuel line and turned the key to on position and fuel was flowing like normal.

If it is a bad dizzy or ECU, that's fine. I just want to get it fixed. :lol2

I'll drop the money on that and hope that's it.

Are their reasons that cause distributors to go bad? The car is only 6 years old and if there is anything I can do to help it, I'll do it.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
i ment plug wires..but yes its possible...do me a favor bro i dont mean to insult you or now

but your motor as you stand infront of it, check the wires pos

4-3-2-1

on the dizzy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
9400rpms said:
i ment plug wires..but yes its possible...do me a favor bro i dont mean to insult you or now

but your motor as you stand infront of it, check the wires pos

4-3-2-1

on the dizzy

No insult at all. I don't know a lot about cars and I know that. My father-in-law is pretty good with them though and he was the one working on it mostly. I will have it checked out. Every little thing will help. I can't wait to get it back.

·
Registered
275 Posts
have u checked to see if your getting spark? Do u try the screw driver in the sparg plug wire trick? I had the same problem...it was a bad coil in the distrib. you dont have a msd do u?

·
Registered
13,289 Posts
Good, someone else ....wait..not good, but someone else with the same problem I'm having. I'm thinking it's my fuel pump...my car had a little bit of a "choppy" acceleration for a while so I'm thinking the fuel pump might have died. I put in my dad's VX distributor into my Si and still no luck starting. My fuel kill switch is off. When I would try starting the car (before it died) it would just try to turn on and that's the problem I'm having now and the switch is off. So other then that...I dont know. I had no CEL come on either. Actually, I just filled up my car and came home. Tried leaving a few hours later and no luck. If you want to see advice from other people go into "Civic" under "I give up..." How do I check for air and fuel? I need to check for spark again because I think I didnt put the plug into the wire all the way because I wasn't getting spark holding it to the block. Sorry this is a long, run-on post. I have been in a slump lately.

PS - Let me know if you figure out your problem, thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thorgs said:
Good, someone else ....wait..not good, but someone else with the same problem I'm having. I'm thinking it's my fuel pump...my car had a little bit of a "choppy" acceleration for a while so I'm thinking the fuel pump might have died. I put in my dad's VX distributor into my Si and still no luck starting. My fuel kill switch is off. When I would try starting the car (before it died) it would just try to turn on and that's the problem I'm having now and the switch is off. So other then that...I dont know. I had no CEL come on either. Actually, I just filled up my car and came home. Tried leaving a few hours later and no luck. If you want to see advice from other people go into "Civic" under "I give up..." How do I check for air and fuel? I need to check for spark again because I think I didnt put the plug into the wire all the way because I wasn't getting spark holding it to the block. Sorry this is a long, run-on post. I have been in a slump lately.

PS - Let me know if you figure out your problem, thanks!

When mine was running, if I shifted from like 2nd to 3rd and hit the gas hard, it was kind of hesitant and jerked back and forth until the RPMs got back up like it wasn't getting enough fuel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thorgs said:
I'm taking mine in sometime soon, I'll let you know what the problem was for me and hopefully it'll help you. This is so frustrating, I now hate cars! :confused

Thanks and good luck. Hope it's something cheap and simple! :w00t

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.