Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a long time back someone posted about designing a box out of carbon fiber to save weight, but I remember other people saying that you can't do that due to static. I'm not sure if that was exactly it or not. But I was wondering, can you actually make a box or even have carbon fiber near your subs/amps/wires? Thanks inadvance

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hypothetically you could make a box that was totally carbon fiber. There are a few logistics problems though. The biggest hurdle is cost, not only is the carbon fiber cloth expensive, it also takes specialty resins to harden properly - again $$$$$.

If you really wanted the CF look, I would suggest that you build your panel/box out of regular fiberglass, then bondo and sand it smooth as a baby's butt. I would try to use Knytex with the proper resin. Knytex has the stregth of regular cloth, but builds up quickly like mat, yet it won't fray quite like mat does. It's excellent stuff, much better than the bondo crap you buy at walmart.

Last, place one layer of CF over the area that will show. Keep in mind that getting the fibers to line up like they do on production pieces is extremely difficult. You could then impregnate the CF with the proper resin, and clear coat the finished product after final sanding.

Here's some sites that may have CF and the resins:

www.selectproducts.com
www.shopmaninc.com

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks a lot

So there isn't any problems about static and the cf? That is what I am most worried about. I haven't actually decided to do it, but have a friend that is really interested in it. Little too much for me to spend :mad:

·
Registered
841 Posts
The place to look for a better answer would be the Sounddomain forums. Search for carbon fiber on the installation forums. Mpipes is the man when it comes to composites, so I would ask him.

Personally, I think it's a waste of time. You will kill yourself trying to get the CF to look perfect before the resin hardens, but if you want to give it a shot, go for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts