Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help deciding which cat back system I should get for my setup (see signature at bottom). I don't really want a loud system at all. Actually, I would prefer something closer to stock (sleeper effect). The old site suggested the Thermal R&D Turbo System. Does anyone have this one? If so, how do you like it? If anyone has a similar setup to mine, please give me some advice on on the best system for performance. Even though I would prefer a quieter system, performance is still my #1 goal.

Thanks!

· Registered
2,529 Posts
I've heard that Thermal is good. I personally have a DC Sports cat back and it's pretty quiet other then when I really get on the throttle and all that exhaust goes pouring out from the SC, then it can get pretty loud (especially underneath bridges and what not). DC Sports has the new twinloop muffler, but I don't know how quiet that is, and I'm sure it hurts performance by a couple of HP, but it's not like you gain a whole lot of HP from a cat back system anyways, particularly if you still have a restrictive stock cat. I've also heard that Apexi WS is pretty comparable in sound to the DC Sports model that I have. And then of course, there is the Mugen twinloop, but that is just expensive as hell. FWIW, the quietest I think you'll be able to get is stock, or a custom exhaust from your local muffler shop.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Hey guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. I really need to do more research to catch up to the knowledge that you two possess. I was leaning toward the Thermal turbo system only because the superhonda.org board suggested it. However, I am a little skeptical because the installation requires "the mounting of an extra 3-inch flange to the catalytic converter." Since my cat isn't stock, I'm not sure how that will work, plus, I'm not sure what is meant by "mounting." Is that welding, C-clamp, etc.? I guess I need to make a phone call.

I was also looking at the APEXi N1 too. Geez, this is difficult.

Thanks again!

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
true. true.

· Registered
157 Posts
well they may be loud to you, but they are very legal. if cops try to harass you for it, you can easily get em written off.

as for quiet... i can only think of magnaflow as a quieter alternative. Other than that you a really asking for trouble, as straight through mufflers only get so quiet. if you really want quiet... add an extra resonator on the exhaust system.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
csufweed said:
well they may be loud to you, but they are very legal. if cops try to harass you for it, you can easily get em written off.

as for quiet... i can only think of magnaflow as a quieter alternative. Other than that you a really asking for trouble, as straight through mufflers only get so quiet. if you really want quiet... add an extra resonator on the exhaust system.
I wasn't reffering to the legal limits of the exhaust. I was only reffering it to my personal refference. Thats why I said In my book... meaning for myself only.

But yeah, neo and I was also talking about that today. Wondering how to get a quiet exhaust with a larger diameter. One of the conclusion we came up to was welding the resonator up to the exhaust.

· Registered
157 Posts
well... magnaflow is extremely quiet... probably the most quiet and best sounding exhaust out there, in my opinion.

Also, most exhausts consist of 1 resonator and 1 muffler. The resonator normally isn't so big. The longer the resonator, the more sound gets absorbed. SO, you can try adding a 22" resonator... if that isnt quiet enough, then add another resonator! Simple as that. However, assuming that you probably already have 1 resonator on there, it'd be cheaper to just add another resonator in addition to it.

Either that or you can go with a TURBO... :p

· Registered
1,633 Posts
And the muffler is another option too. My RS*R muffler section is almost the size of the stock muffler. Compared to other aftermarket mufflers that are seems to be like its just a 8-10in pipe until the tip on the end. But the resonator is probably the best way to eliminate the loudness of the exhaust though.

I've never heard a Magnaflow so I don't know how it compares to my RS*R. The RS*R is just slightly louder than stock. Besides the tip on the back bumber you would probably think that the car has a stock exhaust.

· Registered
2,529 Posts
I've heard that RS*R is very good as well, but also very hard to get, and if they are hard to get, you can imagine how expensive they would be at this point in time. 5zigen? Quiet? PuhLEASE! There is absolutely nothing quiet about a 5zigen.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Yeah but lucky for me I got mines before they stopped shipping them. And I ordered one of the last ones off from Racing Beat's website and at that time they were discounting them like hell just so they could get rid of them. so I got mines for $400 shipped to my door! That was a steal!

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: ckidd whats your 0-60 wth jackson

huntersdl said:
What is your 0-60 with the supercharger? Do you use a diff weight oil? Shop here suggested syntec all the time 0-50 . What you do?
Hey huntersdl,

I haven't run it at the track yet, but it is pretty quick. My brother has a 2000 GS-R, and I can SMOKE him! I just installed the boost gauge, and it says that I am boosting between 8 and 10 psi. I bought the supercharger used, so I think that pulley is an 8 psi pulley. That is why I am in need of an aftermarket cat back system. As for oil, I run 0-50 Mobil 1. Not sure if it makes that much of a difference, but I have 82K miles on my car, and it runs like brand new.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DECISION

Ok, I went with the Thermal R&D Turbo System. I'll keep everyone posted on how loud it is. I'm kinda nervous. I always made fun of those guys with the ear-busting, angry bee sounding exhausts, and now I may be one of them :eek:

· Registered
2,529 Posts
Yes, let us know how it turns out.

I've considered a couple of times putting just the stock muffler back on... It would be quieter and would help give it more of that sleeper image. I don't know how restrictive the stock muffler is, but I can't see it being that much if I kept the aftermarket DC Sports pipes from the cat to the muffler, and got a higher flowing cat. Either that or possibly buy a silencer for a 4" tip from somewhere like Apexi offers for the N1s.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.