Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the discussion has been had before, and i've search around for about 3 hours to find nothing in my quest of doing this the "right" way..
Grant i've had this catch can hooked up for awhile but i wanted to see if i could rig it some other way..

First i went back and revamped the whole catchcan, i took all the bolts off, teflined them all, and used clear quick dry silicone to make sure there's absolutly no leaks what so ever..and i added a filter on the side, it was original closed in...

My question is, Should i just Run The PCV line/Valve cover nipple line into this, and call it a day?? OR should i just put a filter on the valvecover nipple, and run this can the way i had it before, with the pcv valve to the can, from the can to the intake manifold nipple..

I know the crankcase is POSITIVE and doesn't need vacuum, however, from what i've read on n/a setups this should be hooked up to a vacuum source.. Lets get discussion :)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump its lunch time.

·
Registered
401 Posts

The crankcase should have vacumm on it. It keeps the seals 'sealed' on the moving parts (sucks them onto them) and it also eliminates the push /pull the pistons create as the engine runs (parasitic loss). On engines with low tension piston rings vaccumm on the crankcase helps improve your ring seal and create more power. This is why you cannot allow boost into the crankcase. It ruins your seals/rings. Not to mention the pistons would be fighting positive pressure on both sides. You don't get any vaccuum but it allows the engine to breathe by just unhooking the pcv from the intake and routing it to a collection point for oil vapor. (the reason for the catchcan) The catchcan is a place for the oil to pool as it is being pushed out the pcv system usually due to high RPM use. You could simply put the other line in the intake tract behind the airfilter and before the turbo but you risk polluting the intake air charge with oil vapor - this creates detonation. But it also creates vaccumm on the case. Most people opt for a vaccuum pump to create the needed vaccuum - kinda bulky - usually found on race cars. Or rock it till the seals wear out and not worry about it till then. There really isn't a 'good way' to do this. Wither you do it so the engine lives longer by giving it vaccuum or you just say 'the h*ll with it' and run it to atmosphere and worry about spent seals. Catch 22 :bomb . Good luck.
HENRY

·
Banned
1,513 Posts
Best way to run it is as follows...

The hose that goes from the valvecover to the intake should not be touched. You dont need to worry about oil vapor going through there. You do not want it going to atmosphere because that line helps with ringseal and wear at partial throttle (everyday driving).

Oil vapor on B-series engines comes through the pvc line. Its not really that bad though. The black box that the ovc valve plugs into is just a empty box that catches most of it.

But if you feel you need a sperate catch can, run it inline with the pvc hose between the valve and the intake manifold. Keep it a CLOSED system though!! Eleminate the airfilter to atmosphere and plug the hole up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.