Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i got a cell the other day and kinda made me mad.
i just installed a high flow cat. i have obdii with 2 o2 sensors and my high flow cat didnt come with a hole for it. but i choose to use it so i drilled a hole in the cat and put it in there and check for exhuast leaks and its fine. so heres what im thinking its either not that at all. or it is that and its just becuase the cat probably doesnt work becuase its a generaic ebay one that is basically like a straight pipe i think.

so whats me deal?

i will have to get the cel checked also. its not good driving on it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Its probably because the 02 sensor on the cat is there to make sure the cat is working properly. Since you ahve no cat it throws a cel. Look into buying a 02 simulator its like 50 bucks, but will fic yor problem. Its really the onyl way out of it unless you convert to obd1.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
your "test pipe" cat isnt cleaning any of the emissions shit and the 2nd o2 is pickin it up.

should've picked up a carsound high flow cat w/ o2 bung, they are fairly cheap and are CARB approved. i believe carsound is manufactured by magnaflow.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have the same problem. I keep throwing a code. I just pull the #13 fuse on the passanger side. its a 7.5amp fuse. I'm too cheap to get a new cat right now so I'm going to be pulling the fuse till the spring time. oh well.:eek:

·
Registered
471 Posts
like you said, those ebay 'hi flow cats' are nothing but pipes with flanges on the end. i would take it off and put your OEM cat back on until you can afford a real hi flow w/ the o2 sensor hookup... like the random tech, powercore, etc.

i had one of those cheap test pipes on for awhile... not only does it sometimes cause problems with the o2 sensor (like you are experiencing), but it also made my exhaust sound more whiney/high pitched. i am now daily driving with my oem cat again. i only put the test pipe on when i go to the track.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well checked it. its code 67 - Catalyst Below Threshold

so basically its saying the cat isnt doing its job. oh well time for a os simulator or resistor and such

·
Registered
456 Posts
theforeman said:
well checked it. its code 67 - Catalyst Below Threshold

so basically its saying the cat isnt doing its job. oh well time for a os simulator or resistor and such
my cat is blowing the same code

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i belive i have a method to get rid of the cel and still keeo the straight cat. or basiucally a straight pipe. i will hopefully get it on tomarrow sine its spose to be nice and let ya know results then let ya in on the info

·
Registered
456 Posts
theforeman said:
i belive i have a method to get rid of the cel and still keeo the straight cat. or basiucally a straight pipe. i will hopefully get it on tomarrow sine its spose to be nice and let ya know results then let ya in on the info
http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-afc/ecu.shtml
I don't feel like cutting wires, but this is a good solution.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
skabone69 said:
http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-afc/ecu.shtml
I don't feel like cutting wires, but this is a good solution.
this is and isnt. while it would do the job somewhat its not what the project is for. its to reset the ecu each time you turnb off your car without restting clock and radio setttings. this help keep the car from learning how to correct itself for mods you may of installed on your car.

my method so far is working. driven around 50 miles so far and no cel yet. im just waiting to make sure though. las time it was about 40-60 miles not sure then it came on.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it will cost ya :p jk

i followed this diagram and these instructions and well its working fine so far.

instructions here
http://home.insightbb.com/~niedejb/o2.html

all you need on the radio shack parts list to follow the cl instructions are the resistor #2711356 -- PK 5 MEG 1/4 W
and the capacitor # 2721434 -- 1 MFD Cap (quanity 1) you only need one becuase the schematic was made for a mustang with dual exhuast so therefore 2 cats.

and then just colder it and heat shrink over the stuff. then slipce into the harness wires and solder there and heat shrink then put electrical tape over it. thats what i did.

im thinking if anyone wants me to make them some and to everything so its pre assembled i can. for how much ever parts cost. and shipping. and color code the wires so its basically just splice and play.

i duno let me no if anyone is interested in that. im gonna get laid off from work soon so im going to have ALOT of free time on my hands

·
Registered
115 Posts
that's a very simple circuit and very cheap, so even if you don't have much experience, you should be able to do it, I think it's about the best solution I've seen thus far.

good luck guys :)

- Nathan

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i need to figure out how much supplies would be but i thinking under 10 bucks for sure. like 5-7 with shipping i would think.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
k well my cel came on tonight and its still code 67. so now i need to mess around with the voltmeter and see if i need a stronger or weaker resistor. if all else fails there is alwayas stock :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts