Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is the first time since I've had my car that the check engine light has come on (put on around 8k miles since i've had it). It all happened on my way to school today ... I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd to slow down (i was at like 3 - 3.5k rpm and revmatched too) and it popped on. The car got jerky and the tach would go up a lil then back to normal, then drop a lil (no more than .5k rpm). I stopped and waited for traffic, then proceeded to make my turn. It felt like i was pulling out in 3rd gear (maybe not 3rd, but it was harder than pulling out in 2nd) but i was in first. So I pulled into the parking lot at school all pissed off, went to school, came back out got in and the light was still on ... however it ran good ... (even seemed a lil better than normal but maybe i'm just imagining it). So I go home, sleep for an hour and drive to work. Everything drives fine ... but the light is still on. While at work, and on break, I check my oil just in case. It's a lil lower than it should be, but its been lower and ran fine. I'll be adding some tomorrow. But I noticed where I spliced my wire from my Venom 400 chip to my TPS, they weren't connected anymore. So I connected those with connecters and some electrical tape, started the car and it ran fine, but the light was still on. I looked again, thinking maybe it could have been the other wire from the Venom 400 to my MAP sensor, but that was all connected and everything.

Could it be that the reason it was jerky was coincidental because it was cold this morning, and I didn't let the car warm up, and it was a lil low on oil?

Could it just be on because its letting me know how its time for routine maintanence?

If routine maintanence (i know its spelled wrong ahah), how (if possible) would I turn it off ... I heard there is a way to turn off the CEL with ur key or some shit. Or how long does it usually stay on for routine maintanence?

And how do I check to see what codes its spitting? I heard you do this some how too. Can someone explain this to me, if its needed to be done ... if its not needed to be done, then I can jsut look it up sometime tomorrow.

Thanks a lot guys ... I know its long, but I wanna get that CEL turned the hell off... its bugging the hell outta me ahahah

BTW- the venom 400 was turned off the whole time

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's a 96 Civic EX (coupe) with 54xxx miles

· Registered
17 Posts
My 93 civic starting jerking like that one day out of the blue on my way to work but my check engine light wasn't on. SO I change my spark plug wirs and the jerking went away and the car rund fine. As for the check engine light Autozone advertises they will pull the codes for you for free. Try that before replacing anything just to save some $$$$$$$$.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.