Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
their phones won't work here, usually...

however, some do, as japanese tourists, before leaving narita or other international airports, can rent cellphones (what they call keitai) to use during their stay in the usa...

unfortunately, these cellphones are usually older models... but still lightyears ahead of the crap we get...

shiba-kun...
you're going to kyoto too?

my wife and i are gonna take the nozomi shinkansen from hakata station for an overnight stay in kyoto to go sightseeing...

and we'll be there in late october...

maybe we'll catch up... you ero oyajii! :clappy

i'll be sure to check out the local hentai video stores... ;)

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was there about 1 year ago (early April 2006). Kyoto was hella fun, and luckily Kiyomizu was open at night! :w00tz

I got to do a couple things I hadn't been able to do before: visit Honnoji (where Oda Nobunaga was killed) and visit Nanzenji (one of the photo shoot locations from Gran Turismo 4).

Hopefully you can stay in Kyoto for at least 2 complete days. If you're into site seeing and don't mind walking and ultra crowded buses, then Kyoto is a GREAT place to visit. Although considering that it's Golden Week, I'd avoid it right now. :fear

I don't know if I'll get a chance to make it back to Kyoto this time around. Nara or a day trip to Lake Biwa might be as close as I get... :cry

One of my obligatory Kinkakuji pictures.

If you check out my photo gallery, I have some pictures from my last two trips to Japan (March 05 and April 06).

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
that phone doesn't seem like it would appeal to japanese tastes, aesthetically... it looks more like cheesy usa market cell phone crap from walmart...

·
Registered
406 Posts
i have an ntt docomo N504is in my hands right now. an older model japanese phone but still far better camera quality and screen size than anything even recent that ive seen here.

http://www.mobiletechnews.com/info/2002/11/21/120536.html

heres the spec sheet on it. remember that the phone is from 2002..pretty damn impressive if you ask me

·
Registered
406 Posts
I remember walking in one of the department stores (they always have 2 floors..the bottom is the grocery and the 2nd is the clothes, etc,etc) anyways, the phone kiosk had portable charging stations that you pay a small fee to leave your phone on and charge while your shopping, then you come back and pick it up. It was pretty phenominal

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
KDDI winning number portability war

Thursday, May 10, 2007
KDDI winning number portability war

By SHINICHI TERADA
Staff writer

KDDI Corp., taking full advantage of the number portability system, said Wednesday that it added a net 249,400 new subscribers in April compared with only 65,800 for NTT DoCoMo Inc., the nation's largest mobile phone operator.

April is one of the busiest months for mobile phone campaigns because it marks the beginning of both the new business year and new school year.

Under number portability, introduced last October, customers can retain their original phone numbers even when switching service providers.

Link:
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nb20070510a3.html

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Japan's KDDI unveils world's thinnest folding phones

Japan's KDDI unveils world's thinnest folding phones
Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:44am ET

Time: 11:36pm ET

TOKYO, Oct 16 (Reuters) - KDDI Corp (9433.T: Quote, NEWS , Research), Japan's second-biggest mobile phone operator, on Tuesday unveiled the world's thinnest folding phone handsets, which it plans to market to older fashion-conscious men.

KDDI's year-end lineup of eight phones includes credit card-sized phones 9.9 millimetres thick when folded, dubbed "Gold Card," "Black Card," and "Platinum Card," which it displayed alongside an array of neckties and suits.

Japanese men in their 40s and 50s, who in previous generations typically received monthly allowances from their wives, have been spending more money and growing more fashion-conscious. That has spurred Tiffany & Co (TIF.N: Quote, Profile , Research) to open a men's jewellery boutique and department store chain Isetan Co Ltd (8238.T: Quote, NEWS , Research) to create a "men's building" both in Tokyo, among others.

For its part, KDDI, which competes with NTT DoCoMo Inc (9437.T: Quote, NEWS , Research) and Softbank Corp (9984.T: Quote, NEWS , Research), is looking for ways to lure subscribers in Japan's nearly 9 trillion yen ($77 billion) mobile market, over 50-percent controlled by DoCoMo.

"Men are more interested in buying ultra-slim mobile phones than women," KDDI Senior Vice President Makoto Takahashi said in a news conference to unveil the Toshiba Corp-made (6502.T: Quote, NEWS , Research) handsets.

KDDI is also expanding its lineup of phones using organic light-emitting diode (OLED) panels, for crisper digital broadcasts, which are popular among men in their 40s and 50s.

Shares of KDDI closed down 1.4 percent, while the Nikkei average <.N225> fell 1.27 percent.

© Reuters 2007. All Rights Reserved.

Link:
http://flash.kddi.com/collection/07autumn/main.html

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
NEC Develops Translation Software on Cellphone

Friday, November 30, 2007
NEC Develops Translation Software on Cellphone

NEC said Friday it has created a world-first real-time translator on a cellphone, which can instantly turn Japanese travellers' words into English.

One second after the phone hears speech in Japanese, the cellphone with the new technology shows the text on the screen. One second later, an English version appears.

NEC said it was the first time in the world that automatic translation is available on a cellphone without external help.

The company made it possible by making the software, which includes a voice-recognition system and translation functions, compact enough to operate on a small microchip mounted in a cellphone, it said.

It is technically possible to make the English translation vocal but NEC is not considering the idea at the moment, according to NEC spokesman Mitsumasa Fukumoto.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Nearly half of Japanese bathe with cellphones, poll finds

Hahhaahhahaaa! Last night I just did!:ninja:hehe

Mon Mar 17, 11:28 AM ET

TOKYO (AFP) - Hi-tech mobile phones and leisurely baths are well-known passions of the Japanese -- and apparently they're not mutually exclusive.

A survey released Monday showed that 41.2 percent of people in the country have at least once taken their mobile phones to the bathtub to make calls, type e-mails, listen to music or play games.

The practice extends across all sexes and ages, although teenagers were the most likely to have bathed with their phones, according to the poll of 16,250 people carried out by video-game maker Sega.

The most common reason for taking the phone to the tub was to type e-mails, followed closely by listening to music.

The survey will come as no surprise to Japanese mobile phone makers, some of which advertise that their handsets are safe for the bath.

Japan has one of the world's most advanced mobile networks, with nearly 85 percent of users carrying third-generation phones that allow Internet access and other interactive features.

Soaking in the bathtub is a nightly custom for many in Japan, where trips to hot-spring resorts are a popular pastime.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts

TOKYO (AFP) - Hi-tech mobile phones and leisurely baths are well-known passions of the Japanese -- and apparently they're not mutually exclusive.

A survey released Monday showed that 41.2 percent of people in the country have at least once taken their mobile phones to the bathtub to make calls, type e-mails, listen to music or play games.

The practice extends across all sexes and ages, although teenagers were the most likely to have bathed with their phones, according to the poll of 16,250 people carried out by video-game maker Sega.

The most common reason for taking the phone to the tub was to type e-mails, followed closely by listening to music.

The survey will come as no surprise to Japanese mobile phone makers, some of which advertise that their handsets are safe for the bath.

Japan has one of the world's most advanced mobile networks, with nearly 85 percent of users carrying third-generation phones that allow Internet access and other interactive features.

Soaking in the bathtub is a nightly custom for many in Japan, where trips to hot-spring resorts are a popular pastime.
shiba-kun,

ha ha ha... nihonjin wa hen, ne? anta mo! ha ha ha ha...

genki?

one thing to keep in mind about keitai is that they just look a lot cooler because the japanese have a great sense of aesthetics and it's obvious they put a lot of emphasis on this as there are tons of varieties of cell phones in their market...

whenever my friends/relatives come to visit us here in the usa, they cringe at how kakkowarui our phones look... :D

like a late '90s gm vs. current lexus/audi dashboard design...

·
Registered
984 Posts

LOL, I actually do listen to music when I take a shower, but I don't take my cell I take my Nintendo DS!

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
shiba-kun,
ha ha ha... nihonjin wa hen, ne? anta mo! ha ha ha ha...
genki?
Yeah, they're pretty strange & I'm doing just fine.

I admit that there are times that I wish I had a SUICA enabled phone when I'm traveling about Japan. It would make things easier then pulling out my JR Pass, passport, etc.

I just had dinner with a friend last night and we were talking about if we should take another trip back to Japan this year... but at 95:1 I think we're gonna wait until later in the year to figure it out.

I have a friend how's family just came back from visiting Hiroshima & Okayama. I laughed at how much they paid for their airfare. The fuel surchage was basically equal to the seat accomadations.:lol2:hehe:lol2

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Yeah, they're pretty strange & I'm doing just fine.

I admit that there are times that I wish I had a SUICA enabled phone when I'm traveling about Japan. It would make things easier then pulling out my JR Pass, passport, etc.

I just had dinner with a friend last night and we were talking about if we should take another trip back to Japan this year... but at 95:1 I think we're gonna wait until later in the year to figure it out.

I have a friend how's family just came back from visiting Hiroshima & Okayama. I laughed at how much they paid for their airfare. The fuel surchage was basically equal to the seat accomadations.:lol2:hehe:lol2
sho ga nai...

i don't think i'll be able to go back this year... may end up visiting the other family in the philippines (close enough to hop on another plane and visit anyway)...

i really miss the onsen and food... seems like all i can eat around here are heroes and pasta (and i gained 15 pounds since i got back) :mad

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Vibrating Braille cell phone developed in Japan

Vibrating Braille cell phone developed in Japan

A former teacher at a school for the blind and a professor from Tsukuba University of Technology have developed a cell phone that sends out vibrations representing Braille symbols to enable people with sight and hearing difficulties to communicate.

The phone, reportedly the first of its kind in the world, was created by 73-year-old former teacher Sadao Hasegawa, Tsukuba University of Technology professor Nobuyuki Sasaki and other developers.

"This should be a big help for blind people who find it difficult to communicate," said Hasegawa, who is totally blind.

When a caller pushes numbers on the keypad corresponding to Braille symbols, two terminals attached to the receiver's phone vibrate at a specific rate to create a message.

Japanese Braille uses six dots to represent the Japanese syllabary. Using the numbers 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 and 8, on cell phones to represent these six dots, it's possible to form Braille symbols.

The development of the cell phone follows previous research into Braille using vibrating terminals to express syllables. Usually the dots in Braille are only a few millimeters apart from each other, and it is difficult for many people to recognize them with their fingers, even if they know how the dots are supposed to be aligned.

If devices that convert information from the keypad movements into vibrations are set up with the phones, the users can have a conversation. Pushing the number 1, for example, causes the left terminal to give one long vibration, which is the syllable "a."

The developers are now working to make the devices that convert keypad information into vibrations smaller than their current size (16 centimeters by 10 centimeters). If vibration-based Braille is applied more widely, it may enable information to be "broadcast" to several blind people at once.

(Mainichi Japan) April 5, 2008

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Prada phone coming to Japan

Fashion design firm Prada on Thursday said it would launch its LG Prada phone in Japan, signaling one of the few carrier-based releases for the touchscreen device outside of Europe. The phone will be paired up with dominant carrier NTT DoCoMo and will primarily be sold from Prada's own stores rather than cellular or electronics shops. Few details of the local phone are available, though the handset is likely to include some level of 3G support to handle Japan's networks and should keep the 2-megapixel camera of the original.

A version in Korea ships with mobile TV and may be ported over with support for Japan's native 1Seg digital broadcast standard in place of the Korean T-DMB format.

LG and Prada have yet to announce full details but will ship the phone on May 23rd. Pricing hasn't been set for the phone and may vary given Japan's traditional open price system, but is likely to float near the roughly $800 price of the European version. US customers already have access to the Prada in an unlocked edition but aren't expected to see a carrier version in light of related phones, such as the LG Vu.

The decision to avoid conventional phone stores in Japan is considered an end-run around the country's historical resistance to foreign-made phones, which are sometimes technically inferior or else don't receive the same discounts as locally produced devices from Sharp, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba, and others. [via WSJ]

·
Registered
984 Posts
Prada phone coming to Japan

Fashion design firm Prada on Thursday said it would launch its LG Prada phone in Japan, signaling one of the few carrier-based releases for the touchscreen device outside of Europe. The phone will be paired up with dominant carrier NTT DoCoMo and will primarily be sold from Prada's own stores rather than cellular or electronics shops. Few details of the local phone are available, though the handset is likely to include some level of 3G support to handle Japan's networks and should keep the 2-megapixel camera of the original.

A version in Korea ships with mobile TV and may be ported over with support for Japan's native 1Seg digital broadcast standard in place of the Korean T-DMB format.

LG and Prada have yet to announce full details but will ship the phone on May 23rd. Pricing hasn't been set for the phone and may vary given Japan's traditional open price system, but is likely to float near the roughly $800 price of the European version. US customers already have access to the Prada in an unlocked edition but aren't expected to see a carrier version in light of related phones, such as the LG Vu.

The decision to avoid conventional phone stores in Japan is considered an end-run around the country's historical resistance to foreign-made phones, which are sometimes technically inferior or else don't receive the same discounts as locally produced devices from Sharp, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba, and others. [via WSJ]

Yea we actually have those Prada phones here in Arizona because there is this Asian store that carries these imported phones. But of course you can find plenty of those in Cali. Anyways, I heard the Prada phones are ok, they are not worth the value that they are tho.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts