Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the forum has a DIY on how to change the engine oil, that's pretty
basic.

But I can't seem to find a writeup on how to change manual transmission oil.
I searched on the forum, and on google. (Found some crap on google, but
nothing very helpful.)
How does one change the oil in a manual transmission?

(What I got is there are two plugs on the side, one to drain one to fill,
but they are both horizontal????) Can someone please do a nice writeup
on how to do it for a 6th gen Accord?

·
Registered
478 Posts
ib042129 said:
Ok, so the forum has a DIY on how to change the engine oil, that's pretty
basic.

But I can't seem to find a writeup on how to change manual transmission oil.
I searched on the forum, and on google. (Found some crap on google, but
nothing very helpful.)
How does one change the oil in a manual transmission?

(What I got is there are two plugs on the side, one to drain one to fill,
but they are both horizontal????) Can someone please do a nice writeup
on how to do it for a 6th gen Accord?
Get a funnel, and some rubber tubing that will fit over the funnel, AND inside the TOP plug in the side of tranny. I had to use 2 sizes of tubing to get this to work.

1. Drain by getting a pan, and pulling the bottom plug.
2. put the botton plug back in, and remove the top plug. (leave the pan in place)
3. lower the tubing and funnel from up top and guide it CLOSE to the top plug hole.
4. get underneath, and put the hose into the top hole. you want a loose fit, so excess will drain out.
5. Back up top, slowly add about 2+ quarts ( I think) untill the stuff starts running out.
6. Go back under, and pull the hose out carefully. Its full to the top when no more runs out.
7. Put the top plug back in, and test for leaks...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ript said:
Get a funnel, and some rubber tubing that will fit over the funnel, AND inside the TOP plug in the side of tranny. I had to use 2 sizes of tubing to get this to work.

1. Drain by getting a pan, and pulling the bottom plug.
2. put the botton plug back in, and remove the top plug. (leave the pan in place)
3. lower the tubing and funnel from up top and guide it CLOSE to the top plug hole.
4. get underneath, and put the hose into the top hole. you want a loose fit, so excess will drain out.
5. Back up top, slowly add about 2+ quarts ( I think) untill the stuff starts running out.
6. Go back under, and pull the hose out carefully. Its full to the top when no more runs out.
7. Put the top plug back in, and test for leaks...
Ok thanks. That makse sense.
Now, is the top plug the one with a square socket? So what wrenches should I use?
and it's 2+quarts?
10-w40? or what kind of oil? (I know about the honda manual transmission fluid but I heard that regular oil is just fine.)
Oh, and is there a way to find the diameter of the tubing yo need without taking the top plug off?
Thanks

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
ib042129 said:
Ok thanks. That makse sense.
Now, is the top plug the one with a square socket? So what wrenches should I use?
and it's 2+quarts?
10-w40? or what kind of oil? (I know about the honda manual transmission fluid but I heard that regular oil is just fine.)
Oh, and is there a way to find the diameter of the tubing yo need without taking the top plug off?
Thanks
no-get tranny fluid from your honda dealer. i would use what your supposed to use, not motor oil.

·
Registered
478 Posts
rnstein69 said:
no-get tranny fluid from your honda dealer. i would use what your supposed to use, not motor oil.
My 1994 accord recomends 10w30 motor oil. I would check yer manual if you have one. and the square one will take a standard 1/2 inch extension without a socket...

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
Ript said:
My 1994 accord recomends 10w30 motor oil. I would check yer manual if you have one. and the square one will take a standard 1/2 inch extension without a socket...
hmm...thats strange. i have a 95 and i went to the dealer to get tranny fluid. unless they mark it as tranny fluid but its really motor oil. :ninja

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
i97supratti said:
I just changed mine with Honda manual tranny fluid. Didn't notice a difference really. And the 2nd gear grind is still as loud as it was before. I'll prolly try GM Synchromesh next time.
if you add 25% lucas, it may help out a bit. i use a bit of lucas whenever i change my motor oil, and i notice that the car idles a bit smoother ever since ive used it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
rnstein69 said:
if you add 25% lucas, it may help out a bit. i use a bit of lucas whenever i change my motor oil, and i notice that the car idles a bit smoother ever since ive used it.
if the things really messed up, it dont matter what juice you put in there.

·
Registered
478 Posts
rnstein69 said:
hmm...thats strange. i have a 95 and i went to the dealer to get tranny fluid. unless they mark it as tranny fluid but its really motor oil. :ninja
Na I doubt it, you can get all kinds of manual trans fluid. They probably a bit better than oil. I used some redline MTF, and it was a bit better at getting into first while rolling, but not really worth spending $9 a quart on...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, just finished the oil change, and here is my own writup of what I did.
This is for a 6th gen. Other accords are probably very simmilar.

!!!!Oh, and unless I did something very wrong, can someone add this to the
how to links? !!!!

1)Raise car
2)Remove Front Right Wheel
3)Place drain pan under drain plug
4)Remove drain plug (Use the medium sized socket wrench. The square
socket fits into the plug.)
Below is a photo of where to find the drain plug.
The oil will flow very fast!

5)Reinstall the drain plug
6)Remove the fill plug. (Use the large sized socket wrench. The square
See photo below for the location of fill plug.

The opening should look something like:

7)Now you need to fill the oil back up. Use Honda Manual Transmission fluid. Or 10w-30 oil.
8)To pour the oil you need to insert a tube into the fill hole, and attach the other end to a funnel. You want the tube to fill the entire hole othewise oil
will leak out.
I found that the cap from the oil container fits the fill hole nicely, so I cut a hole through it and threaded a tube through, then taped it up. Then I taped the other end of the tube to a funnel. The end result looked like what
you see below.

9)Attach one side to the fill hole try not ot have it leak.
10)Fill with about 2.5-3 quarts of oil. If you overfill like I did, the oil will leak
back out once you remofe the funnel. !!!Let the extra oil leak out!!!!
11) Reinstall the fill plug.
12)Wipe all the spilled oil off.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trigger said:
Are you talking about soft drinks? Last time I checked there were 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch bits.
Soft drinks?
I just forgot what the standard sizes were.
So thanks.
Medium=3/8, large=1/2 inch bits.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ib042129 said:
Ok, just finished the oil change, and here is my own writup of what I did.
This is for a 6th gen. Other accords are probably very simmilar.

!!!!Oh, and unless I did something very wrong, can someone add this to the
how to links? !!!!

1)Raise car
2)Remove Front Right Wheel
3)Place drain pan under drain plug
4)Remove drain plug (Use the medium sized socket wrench. The square
Below is a photo of where to find the drain plug.
The oil will flow very fast!

5)Reinstall the drain plug
6)Remove the fill plug. (Use the large sized socket wrench. The square
See photo below for the location of fill plug.

The opening should look something like:

7)Now you need to fill the oil back up. Use Honda Manual Transmission fluid. Or 10w-30 oil.
8)To pour the oil you need to insert a tube into the fill hole, and attach the other end to a funnel. You want the tube to fill the entire hole othewise oil
will leak out.
I found that the cap from the oil container fits the fill hole nicely, so I cut a hole through it and threaded a tube through, then taped it up. Then I taped the other end of the tube to a funnel. The end result looked like what
you see below.

9)Attach one side to the fill hole try not ot have it leak.
10)Fill with about 2.5-3 quarts of oil. If you overfill like I did, the oil will leak
back out once you remofe the funnel. !!!Let the extra oil leak out!!!!
11) Reinstall the fill plug.
12)Wipe all the spilled oil off.
Sorry for bringing this old post up, but is yours a manual? Are the procedures exactly the same between auto and manual cars?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Honda manual says remove the fill bolt , then the drain bolt. I know it doesnt really matter .. but it likely allows the fluide to drain out faster / more completely. Also the tubing in the photo above looks extremely small .. something thicker (just small enough to fit into the fill hole) would prob. work a little better.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I thought the fill plug is the one below?? If it is not the fill plug, then what is it for?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.