Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty so i recieved my new axles today and im going to change them out cause well its been cracking and poping for awhile now. I have a 91 civic dx 1.5.. I have a general idea on how to do it but i dont know what type of transaxle fluid i should use..
Thanks ahead of time for your posts. and any suggestions you may have

·
Registered
908 Posts
Honda MTF (manual transmission fluid) is best to use. If you must use motor oil use synthetic only. The cleaning agents in synthetic are vital to the health and operation of your tranny. I've never had a Honda with an automatic, but if you have an auto tranny look for ATF.

I just changed out my front driver-side axle on my '92 and didn't need to change the fluild. Not sure about the '91, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
you don't need to change the fluid, but you should be prepared for some to come spilling out when you finally get the axle free from the tranny itself. definitely have at least a couple of bottles handy just in case.

unless it's about time for you to change the fluid anyway, in which case just change the whole damn thing! if you've got an auto, i recommend Mobil 1 ATF, but it is pretty expensive (like $7-$8 a quart, and you'll need about 3 of them).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts