Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just wanted to ask i you had some details to give me about changing my rotors on my accord. I followed the Hynes book but it's really not helpiing. I was able to take off the 4 bolts from behind which I'm assuming is suppose to release the hub and rotor piece. It didn't come loose and then I noticed a small screw coming from the outside screwed in towards the axle and wondered if that screw was holding me back. Can someone please give me some suggestions about this? Is that little screw what's holding me up or have I missed something here?
thanks

cr

·
Registered
125 Posts
i have a 1995 accord and i know that the rotors are not as easy to replace as a civic... i had to have them pressed out and in.... by a shop sucks ......look into it ur model may have to do the same if u take it apart and it does need to be pressed nd u may phuck up the bearings..... so make the call to ur honda dealership

·
Registered
159 Posts
for 97 accords, when u take the bearings out you destroy them. Thats why wen u get any brake jobs that involve rotor work at any brake place with a brain they will charge you for new bearings. And yes, they do have to be pressed in. Id suggest going to a brake shop with all ur parts and have them do the labor.

·
Registered
159 Posts
had some sketchy Midas shop look at my rotors, guy took off the bearings (broke them) and then used the same ones to put em back on (pressed em together). OMG was my shit shaking on the way home. Went to a honda dealer and they told me why i should never go back their again.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
Wow-this has been covered a dozen times...Ive done my brakes on my accord 3 times already, and not a single problem with the bearings-you need a slide hammer and a spider to "unpress" them from the bearing. The bearing actually seperates in two. The balls themselves stay with the steering knuckle, and the ouside track comes out with the rotor. Once the rotor is out, you can then unbolt the rest of the bearing from the rotor. Here's a pic of the Knuckle with the rotor off:

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
tews19_1995LX said:
all i have to type about that is ur the MAn stein
why thank you.
btw-i dont suggest using that "haynes" or "chiltons" manual-they are all crap. The Helms manual was the best investment (free download) that I ever made-it gives an excellent insight with detailed images on everything that you would want to do yourself.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
skillet said:
Are the rotors different starting in '98, as in not needing a slide hammer and to "unpress" them?
I believe so-
I think the 5th gen (94-97) is the only gen that the rotors are pressed on.

·
Registered
39,372 Posts
bonestock94 said:
and 4th gen too. the hub over rotor design sucks.

6th gens are lucky and got the rotor over hub setup...
yeah-i think your right...its a pain in the ass setup-i dunno why honda decided to design it that way

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.