Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I had the transmission fluid changed in a 97 Civic EX. The owners manual says to use Honda's Manual Trans Fluid but states you "can" use 10w-30 instead if necessary, but cautions that this should just be a temp solution. The shifts will get harder I think they say...over time. Anyway, the mechanic at this independent shop used the 10w-30. He said it's fine...not to worry. I thought I'd ask the experts here. Any comments?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I am sure he knows what he's talking about. Honda is just saying that so if someone uses oil and their tranny gets messed up they aren't responsible (which it won't). A lot of people on this board use Redline transmission fluid, but I don't think it really matters what you use.

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
klungemonger said:
They just want you to buy Honda MTF at $4.95 per quart instead of motor oil for only $1.30 per quart.
IMO its worth the extra few bucs. I go with the synthetic!!!

·
Premium Member
9,293 Posts
klungemonger said:
I don't doubt it's better, I figure though that if I'm going to spend $10 or more on 2 quarts I'll just dish another $6 or so and get the Redline MTF instead.
Well I was going to get the redline, but the Honda one is synthetic also, and I trust it more. I've heard of some people having problems with the redline.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts