Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car = 92 si w/ d15b [jdm z6] cai + 2.25" cat-back.

i need a new cat, mine is like ancient and prob not even working anymore.
i would just go with no cat but i dont want to rist the fine that comes with it, anyways..
its just a cat, just as long as i have one ill be fine. so i was looking at these cheapo ebay hi-flow cats for like $20. will these do the job ok?

im going n/a with my sohc for now, till in the distant future i have the money for a nice turbo and all the headache that comes with it.
thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,816 Posts
pwrdbykmfdm said:
car = 92 si w/ d15b [jdm z6] cai + 2.25" cat-back.

i need a new cat, mine is like ancient and prob not even working anymore.
i would just go with no cat but i dont want to rist the fine that comes with it, anyways..
its just a cat, just as long as i have one ill be fine. so i was looking at these cheapo ebay hi-flow cats for like $20. will these do the job ok?

im going n/a with my sohc for now, till in the distant future i have the money for a nice turbo and all the headache that comes with it.
thanks.
yeah it'll work as a cat replacement that won't get you a fine, but the cat won't do much as far as power gains. and i'm assuming you're obd1. don't get an ebay cat if you have obd2 with a secondary o2 sensor on your cat....i did that and my o2 sensor doesn't like it-so now i just have a constant CEL. but if you're obd0 or obd1 go for it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
I'm putting an OBD2 carsound/magnaflow high flow 2.5" when the swap is performed. They sell locally for around $75 but go on e-bay for around $50.
You can go to carsound/magnaflow website and cross reference part #'s, size, obd ver, etc.
I'd spring the extra cash for quality & brand name, ya know what they say - ya get what ya pay for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
guys thanks for the quick replies.
yeah mines obd1. so i think ill go with the ebay cat, i mean...its got to at least flow better than my 12 year old catalytic converter thats on there now right?
think i should have a resonator put on too or yous guys think a hi-flow cat and straight-thru muffler are good enough?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
terboracer said:
noob question, what does obd1 refer to?
its the type of computer your engine uses.
obd1 is in 92-95 civic and has 1 oxegen censor, obd2 is in 96-00 and has two oxygen sensors.
obd1's are easier to work with and are "the racers choice" i have heard.
thats pretty much all i know about that, im sure someone will reply who has much more in depth knowledge than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,383 Posts
pwrdbykmfdm said:
its the type of computer your engine uses.
obd1 is in 92-95 civic and has 1 oxegen censor, obd2 is in 96-00 and has two oxygen sensors.
obd1's are easier to work with and are "the racers choice" i have heard.
thats pretty much all i know about that, im sure someone will reply who has much more in depth knowledge than that.
It's the computer used to run the car.. obd2 has stricter emission ratings so more sensors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
snozepp147 said:
yeah it'll work as a cat replacement that won't get you a fine, but the cat won't do much as far as power gains. and i'm assuming you're obd1. don't get an ebay cat if you have obd2 with a secondary o2 sensor on your cat....i did that and my o2 sensor doesn't like it-so now i just have a constant CEL. but if you're obd0 or obd1 go for it
i believe that any ebay pipe will give u a good power gains as long as it is just mandrel bent. I also believe that the only difference between the authenic exhaust pipe and the ebay pipe is it muffler which muffler give various sounds. With correct diameter size suit best for ur wheel horse-power compare to the real exhaust system, it'll give similar power gains along with header, intake, and other mods. Just as long as it doesn't give u any restriction, then u'll be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,555 Posts
if you want a good hi flow cat then go with Carsound. they flow great and they dont make your exhaust stink like the ones on ebay (you can still pass the emission test in your state if there is one). i wouldnt trust those garbage $20 ones on ebay or whatever.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top