Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eBay lists a lot of cheap exhausts for del sol. I know you usually get what you pay for, but... it is very tempting. A brand name catback is like 500 or 600 for just the muffler part. These things on eBay claim to be all stainless steel & have 3 pieces. I am not sure what is so hard in making an exhaust that it would be worth $600, and I wonder if these eBay places just copied the name brands. Or, they are pieces of ****.

I am curious if anyone has ever tried one of them, and the results...

· Registered
242 Posts
ebay exhaust is good it the same thing mandrell bent piping and stuff your just paying for the name with other cat-back systems....ive always just had my local exhaust shop bend me up some straight as possible 2 1/4 piping with a nice muffler and test pipe..its cheap and just as effective considering you wont gain any real horse power from exhuast mostly the sound

· Registered
10,923 Posts
Going the expensive route myself, I'd stick with stock. I bought a Tannabe cat-back with the SC in mind, and I miss the quietness of stock. :(
Then again, just adding the short ram intake, (again, it's all about the supercharger), made my engine loud as shit, even before I got the Tannabe.
IMO, go with stock if you're not planning anything, or even if you are, maybe. :lol This bitch sounds like it could eat thunder!

· Registered
63 Posts
the only difference that i have seen in brand name exhaust and no-name ones is the sound...i'm in the market for new exhaust right now and I always look on you tube to see what it will sound like, cause more than likely someone else already bought that exhaust.

· Registered
1,963 Posts
for the most part, it really doesn't matter, the sound is about the only thing that changes....as far as hp, as long as it's less restrictive than stock it will give you gains.....basically the same principle as cai, the fucking intake is the same, the only thing that makes a difference (and a small one at that) is the filter.

· Registered
1,047 Posts
i aslo went to my exhaust shop this weekend and had them relocate my exhaust to cock to the right instead of on the left how it was before. sounds good and it was for the cheap so couldn't pass it up. worth every dollar instead of a name brand pipe that will do the same as the one u can get at an exhaust shop.

· Registered
580 Posts
This is a good thread, lets me know that exhaust i've been eyeballin in worth it. Any one got any opinions on the stock bumpers they have on there for like 24 bucks? i need a new bumper, but with everywhere else selling em for 250+ is it real, a scam, anyone buy one before?

· Premium Member
160 Posts
i bought my axle-back on ebay...mainly because my stock one busted at the weld to the muffler itself. for 50 bucks it was just a fix, but it really doesnt sound half bad. eventually when i get the money, im getting a full system instead of just the axle back. like they all said, your really only paying for the name, which you cant even see. you could buy a $150 full exhaust off ebay, and just say its a brand name...its not like anyone would even notice. lol.

· Registered
63 Posts
There is this kid in my area wit a pretty beat up civic 4 door like the 92-95 body and he bought all of his stuff for his car off ebay and i must say besides the body being a bit beat up the engine bay is clean as fuck! It all matters on how you go about doing it. You could end up with a fart can and well then your stuck, but if you go with something that's been tested and proven and just isn't any exhaust system then you should end up pretty good. Granted no-name products are a toss up no matter which way you go.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts
i actually contacted the seller before i bought my n1 knock-off. talked to him for about 15 minutes as to how they went about building their product. he pretty much said that they bought the actual apex-i one and copied it, but used better materials which they did. part of the reason brand names are so expensive is the same way pharmaceuticals are so expesnive. they're making their money back on the r&d of the product

· Registered
478 Posts
T've ordered 2 ebay cat backs. The first sounded great untill it broke in half at the resonator. (metal was about as thick as a pop can). The second one has worked for a while but the first time around they sent me the wrong length and now its starting to get louder. If you have a local shop that you trust then go with them.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for your response. I value them all! Is it possible to let us know the brand or seller of the products the broke? It seems like some people did okay. But none of us have money to waste.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.