Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I hit this pothole and my speedometer and odometer stopped working, and my check engine light came on. My tach, gas and temp gauges work fine however. I'm assuming the check engine light came on for whatever reason the gauges aren't working. Maybe something came out or unplugged. Where can I check for this?

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
check the alt

edit:

Ok, nevermind that, I skimmed over it and didn't realize that your tach was working.

Its either the connection at the tranny, try to pop that back in first. If its not that then it is the connection at the back of the gauge cluster.

If you haven't taken you dash apart yet let me know. I'll try and give a text walkthrough.

edit again:

double check both connects. It sounds like its the one connected to the guage, that is one TRICKY motherfu***r to get connected right. If you think you've got it connected right have somebody sit inside you car, disconnect it from the tranny and turn it like it would inside the tranny. If the person sitting in you car notices the needle moving it's connected, if not then you've found your problem.

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Moon Ill said:
check the alt

edit:

Ok, nevermind that, I skimmed over it and didn't realize that your tach was working.

Its either the connection at the tranny, try to pop that back in first. If its not that then it is the connection at the back of the gauge cluster.

If you haven't taken you dash apart yet let me know. I'll try and give a text walkthrough.

edit again:

double check both connects. It sounds like its the one connected to the guage, that is one TRICKY motherfu***r to get connected right. If you think you've got it connected right have somebody sit inside you car, disconnect it from the tranny and turn it like it would inside the tranny. If the person sitting in you car notices the needle moving it's connected, if not then you've found your problem.

I'll check that out tomorrow. Thanks! Hopefully it's the connection at the tranny, less work. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If none of that works pull up the carpet and see what codes the Ecu is throwing. Sure fire way to tell why the check engine is being thrown. It will save you time and frustration

·
Registered
61 Posts
jus check the speed sensor..becuz that happened to me to when my mechanic put my new tranny in and the wire was loose..the check engine light came on to..but ass soon as he plugged the speed sensor in, the check engine light went off

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yes there will be a code when your speedo cable isn't connected/broken. Even though the VSS is cable driven there is still a code for the VSS on our cars. The code for VSS is 17. I really don't think there is a need to check the code on this one as the problem is obvious, either the cable got disconnected, which is most likely, or the cable is broken. If the cable is broken you would have experienced some intermittent failure, ala bouncing speedo.

So fix the problem, then reset the ecu.

·
Banned
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
minimefastgurl said:
If none of that works pull up the carpet and see what codes the Ecu is throwing. Sure fire way to tell why the check engine is being thrown. It will save you time and frustration
Uhh I did that, I'm sure I put that in my post. That's how I know what's wrong. Thanks for the input though.

*edit* no I put it in my other post, sorry.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
i had the same problem with my car because of the speedo cable but turned out it was loose just tighten it and i was on my way

1 - 9 of 9 Posts