Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was helping a friend who had just gotten a CRX. He went to smog it and it didn't pass due to the check engine light not working at all. Now I had someone check the wiring and fuses but they said that theres nothing wrong there and they possibly think it may be the bulb in the instrument panel.

Can anyone shed some more light on this? Should I check the # of blinks on the passenger kickpanel and post that as well, wont be able to do now but tomorrow I can.

Thanks.
Matt

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
heres some advice from SHO's only (i think) emissions inspect0r.

if the bulb doesnt work, you fail. usually, the bulb is out. replace the bulb. usually, when a bulb is out, its out because its been on for so long that it just burns out. so even if you get it replaced, it will likely illuminate and you will still fail because your car likely has DTCs. atleast it does here for 96+, idk how it is where you live.

from there you might wanna see what dtc it throws and have repairs made...

i cant be certain, just tryin to give you some advice.

and by the way, in 13 counties that require emissions inspections where i live, its required by law in those counties that if you sell a car, it must have passed an emissions inspection within the previous 12 months. also, some people will actually 'break' their check engine light just to sell it or try and 'fool' us inspectors into thinking there arent any dtcs. but that shit never works. we aint stupid.
but check around about that law. it could be law for where you live. if it is, the prev. owner may be responsible for any repairs you may need.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Also yes we can help if you count those blinks, those are your codes. How are you sure you CEL isnt working? Does it light up when you first key your car on? They may have seen the light on your ecm blinking and figured your CEL should also be on, but in all reality it will light when the code is set and stay on till you turn the car off then back on then it won't come back on until the ecm sees the same problem happen again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts