Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-03/29/content_4361682.htm
http://www.cheryglobal.com/

BEIJING, March 29 (Xinhua) -- Nine-year-old Chinese carmaker Chery has created a miracle in China's automobile manufacture history by producing a total of 500,000 cars.

On April 15, 2004, Chery's 200,000th car went off the assembly line, and only in less than two years, it produced another 300,00 cars.

Chery invested 400 million yuan (50 million U.S. dollars) to set up an auto engineering academy, which became one of the most advanced auto research center in China.

Cooperating with renowned Austrian engine designing company, Chery has developed new auto engines with proprietary IPR.

In March 2006, it exported 5,000 engines to the United States, making a breakthrough in China's home-brand engine export.

In 2005, Chery exported a record of 18,000 cars, the most among China's car manufacturers. Currently, Chery cars are sold in 38 countries outside China.

Last year, China's vehicle output grew 12.56 percent to 5.71 million units over 2004, and sales of domestically-made vehicles grew 13.54 percent to 5.76 million units, according to statistics from the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers. Enditem

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
were the korean car companies like this too when they 1st start selling their car offshore?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Nope, they (the koreans) struggled more because they got handoff products from Japanese manufacturers. Hyundai got their start from Mitsubishi stuff. Kia got their stuff from Mazda and Ford. Ssangyong got their stuff from Mercedes Benz. Ssangyong Musso was riding on the old G-class chassis and MBZ W124/300E series 3.0 Liter straight six first with the 12 Valve SOHC engine and later with 3.2 Liter straight six 24 Valve DOHC engine complete with the old and excellent MBZ 4 speed automatic. Yet, none of them were really successful or had created so much buzz like the Chinese did.

The Chinese never really had to "begged" their American/European nor Japanese counterparts. The support literally "poured" into their lap (ie GM & VW opened up factories in China) and as you know they are notorious for copying anything that is manufactured.

I think it took Koreans almost half the time to get into 1 million automobiles produced than their Japanese counterparts and the Chinese are hot on Korean heels to accomplish that mark even quicker than what their neighbors did. Japanese took almost three decade to get to the million mark. Koreans did it a couple of years ago and the Chinese, literally a late comer, has already done it in approximately 6 years with about six to go?

It's Crazy man...it really is.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Very good points R35553HV6, the Ssangyong bit really explains lots of things, what about the Rexton? Rep!

It is the same with what happened in my country. All of a sudden, chinese bikes starts pouring in like a bizarre torrent of some sort, and the funny thing is, all of those chinese bikes are actually rebranded Honda bikes. Rumour has it that shortly after Honda pulled the plug on some local chinese plant, the plant kept the engine mould plan and make their own bike. That is why I used to respect korean made bikes more than chinese bikes... Although both bikes suffered from poor build quality... Dunno about now though.

·
Registered
972 Posts
flyracerx said:
Chery is Chevy with an R.
You crack me up!!! :lmao

About the bikes, yeah, no one in the west would know because the chinese bikes are mainly sold in asean countries. It was hillarious I tell you... The chinese bikes copy one of Honda's most successfull 125cc bike from the engine down to even the striping pattern.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Midi_Amp said:
You crack me up!!! :lmao

About the bikes, yeah, no one in the west would know because the chinese bikes are mainly sold in asean countries. It was hillarious I tell you... The chinese bikes copy one of Honda's most successfull 125cc bike from the engine down to even the striping pattern.
totally agree...VN streets are just overwhelmed w/ chinese look-alike-honda bikes w/o the Honda logo...i would never notice it until one of my friend pointed it out...

·
Registered
8,494 Posts
"...General Motors has been one of the worst victims, as evidenced by what the Times describes as an “attack of the clones,” when China’s Chery Automobile simply ran blueprints for the Chevrolet Matiz through a photocopier to come up with its QQ. A Matiz door can fit on a QQ and a QQ bonnet fits on the Matiz, a GM spokesman said..."

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/02/06/209639.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.