Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 Honda Accord LX that has rear drums. I was planning to upgrade to rear discs in the future (but not now). Understanding that there are two kits for my car (depending on if it has rear drums or discs), can I purchase the set for rear discs, and then add the unused parts after my upgrade? ...OR, ...Are both sets completely different? Should I just wait until I get the rear drums converted to discs?

Anybody have experience with which brand to get? ...How about Goodridge ($123 for kit with drums and $182 for kit with rear discs)?

Any opinions on racing with drums? Are rear discs a must-have? I've autocrossed a couple times last year, but I'm anticipating that I might spend more track time this year (along with autocrossing). It's aparent that the discs are better, but I want to know if I can get away with putting off the rear disc conversion.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
i really dont feel that rear discs are a must-have. braking force is a must-have, but if you get adequete performance with drums, why do the conversion? i would suggest getting a lot of autox time and seeing how its working. chances are that your abilities will give out before your that of your brakes in autox...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply,

You're absolutely right, ...that during autocrossing, my drums can take more abuse than my ability out-drive them. But, I'm not concerned with brakes for autocrossing, ...I'm concerned with brakes on the track, which is much, much more abusive. I've autocrossed here and there over a period of two years (and never had any real concerns about brakes, after I upgraded to Hawk HP Plus pads), but I didn't realize any real brake fade until I took it to an open lap day at the track. I'm afraid that bad things can happen if the drums get too hot; that they'll permanently fail or seize since they cannot dissipate heat as well (as discs). I was even given recommendation to park the car in gear without the e-brake between runs. Week after week of track abuse is what I'm trying to get opinions on.

...Since this is an Accord forum, I wanted to get some real examples of experiences or opinions from other Accord enthusiasts who have had more track experience than myself. If I'm worrying over nothing, then fine, ...tell me that you put in many hours track time, and that the drums were adequate. Unfortunately besides personal experience, I rely on Accord forums to get some advice, so that I can try to avoid preventable frustrations. It's not always easy getting good information from people who drive stock performance cars such as BMWs, Vipers, and Corvettes (I'm the only one with an Accord out here.).

...By the way, anybody with opinions on PowerSlot's cyro-treated rotors (for repeated track use, of course)?

:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.