Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I own an '03 Civic Hybrid. About a year ago the check engine light came on with the code P1420. The dealership (yuck, why did I go there?) told me it had to do with my catalytic converter and that I needed to replace it. I did so and everything has been fine until now...

I am about to move from Texas to Florida so I did a couple simple things to my car about 2 weeks ago. A couple days after that the check engine light came back on. I went to AutoZone today to find out what the check engine light meant and it came up with P1420, the same code as before!!! The AutoZone people said that they didn't know what the code meant and that I would have to call the dealership to find out. I called the dealership and he said that it had to do with a knox something? and/or my catalytic converter.

So I'm thinking that if I take it back to a dealership they are just going to tell me to replace that part again. I am a young female and don't exactly get respect when I walk into a car shop. I am afriad that anyone I take it to is just going to screw me and I'm going to still be left with the problem.

Any advice or information will be helpful. Maybe someone even knows an honest mechanic in the Dallas area?

Thanks
Tiffany

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
autozone connected the reader to the car right? it tells them a short description of what the problem is when they do that. the person prolly had no idea what they were doing.

the car should be under warranty still, i would think. and all services like this should be covered. unless your over the mileage or something.

where are you in FL, never mind, where are you moving to here?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they did hook it up to my car. He said that it was a manufacturers code so it didn't have the description.

My car is a 2003, but I drive too much and have 100k miles on it so all warranties are gone unless the dealership guarentees the work they did the first time.

I'm moving somewhere in the Tampa area. Not sure exactly where yet though.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
tickleyourpickl said:
Yes they did hook it up to my car. He said that it was a manufacturers code so it didn't have the description.

My car is a 2003, but I drive too much and have 100k miles on it so all warranties are gone unless the dealership guarentees the work they did the first time.

I'm moving somewhere in the Tampa area. Not sure exactly where yet though.
dealers only garantee their work for 12month or 12000 miles. so how long ago did that happen?

you'll like it there. nice city, much more to do there than here in jacksonville

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was last Feb, but I have no idea how many miles I have put on it since then. I'll definitly have to check it out thoguh. If I could get this fixed for free that would be amazing.

I heard that FL is harder on your car than TX because the sand gets in your car or something. Have you heard anything about that and is there anything I should do to prevent something happening?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
tickleyourpickl said:
It was last Feb, but I have no idea how many miles I have put on it since then. I'll definitly have to check it out thoguh. If I could get this fixed for free that would be amazing.

I heard that FL is harder on your car than TX because the sand gets in your car or something. Have you heard anything about that and is there anything I should do to prevent something happening?
if you live at the beach. then that becomes a factor but anywhere else and your fine. if you have your receipt from the last thing it will say the mileage.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
P1420 Nox Adsorptive Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold.

The best reason for this I can give is the cat is clogged. If its new, then mabey it will be a problem related to your secondary o2 sensor. Not really much else I can say other than get it checked somewhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I own an '03 Civic Hybrid. About a year ago the check engine light came on with the code P1420. The dealership (yuck, why did I go there?) told me it had to do with my catalytic converter and that I needed to replace it. I did so and everything has been fine until now...

I am about to move from Texas to Florida so I did a couple simple things to my car about 2 weeks ago. A couple days after that the check engine light came back on. I went to AutoZone today to find out what the check engine light meant and it came up with P1420, the same code as before!!! The AutoZone people said that they didn't know what the code meant and that I would have to call the dealership to find out. I called the dealership and he said that it had to do with a knox something? and/or my catalytic converter.

So I'm thinking that if I take it back to a dealership they are just going to tell me to replace that part again. I am a young female and don't exactly get respect when I walk into a car shop. I am afriad that anyone I take it to is just going to screw me and I'm going to still be left with the problem.

Any advice or information will be helpful. Maybe someone even knows an honest mechanic in the Dallas area?

Thanks
Tiffany
P1420 is for NOX absorptive catalytic converter however it does not mean the catalytic converter is bad. It has an O2 sensor at its outlet and the O2 sensor could be slow to respond. This happens as the O2 sensor ages. If it is original this is possibly the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts