Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Civic EX coupe has every bar possible except for an upper rear........It's on its way.

BUT, I was wondering:
1. What are peoples' opinion of those floor bars that connect to the seatbelt bolts? do they stiffen at all?

2. Is it possible to fit a C Pillar bar into a 00 civic Coupe?! I only can find them for hatches...

Any personal experiences with these two products would be awesome.

(I'll get a cage eventually, but want to explore the 'bolt-on' for now...)

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
I've seen people mount their harnesses to the floor bar and try to pass through a tech inspection... Thier reasoning is that if it's safe enough to hold your OEM belt mechanism, then it should be safe enough to hold the bar in place. But what happens during a rollover or side impact? it could either break the bar or bend it where it adds slack to the harness...:eek: Also it violates the mfgs. minimum angle requirements.

It supposed to stiffen your chasis, but I think I'd worry about your moving suspension parts first. Just my $.02. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With my shocks set as hard as they can get, and every suspension piece besides a rear upper strut bar, I don't really see what you would imagine is stiff.

I'm not going to get coilovers.

I'm just kind of looking for someone who would have a perspective, and could give me their opinion on their set up. I'm not really looking for critiques.

Actually, with how stiff my suspension is, I actually probably won't feel much difference with anything new. I was just wondering if that floor bar was worth its measly $100 price tag. Guess not.

Let's break this down now:
1. Anyone have the c-pillar bar in a coupe? (might not be necessary because of the rigidity of the trunk...but might be nice to connect a harness)
2. What does everyone connect their harness to?

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
I've seen people mount their harnesses to the floor bar and try to pass through a tech inspection... Thier reasoning is that if it's safe enough to hold your OEM belt mechanism, then it should be safe enough to hold the bar in place. But what happens during a rollover or side impact? it could either break the bar or bend it where it adds slack to the harness...:eek: Also it violates the mfgs. minimum angle requirements.

It supposed to stiffen your chasis, but I think I'd worry about your moving suspension parts first. Just my $.02. ;)
That is just dumb, I tells ya! I mean, mounting seat belts to a beam that goes across the B pillar lower seatbelt mounts is so stupid. If you do that, then the bar will just bend upwards when the seatbelt is tensioned (such as in a crash). Ditto your comments on what happens when the car is hit side on, the belts will loose all tension & just do nothing. Mounting harnesses, even with proper eye bolts on the floor, here in Aus is illegal, because the belt tends to over tension in a crash, which leads to your body being crushed by the seatbelt. Just be smart & mount the front harnesses to the existing seatbelt mounting points in the back

Those B pillar seatbelt mounted braces are just crap, if you ask me. Just look at the design, they have a U section bend to clear the trans tunnel, & that design alone will mean the brace will just flex. Save your money & dont buy one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
when it comes down to 4 point harnesses, you actually have to have the belt be supported at shoulder height. I use my roll bar to support the belt at shoulder height. The harness is than mounted to the rear seats original seat belt bolts. The reason why your supposed to have it this way is to prevent in the case of an accident having your SPINE COMPRESSED - the seat belt will actually go downward.

I agree with whoever told you that its not really going to matter if you have a stock suspension although the stiffer the subframe the better your cars going to handle anyways. You can feel more of a difference with subframe stiffeners when you do have a fairly high spring/dampening rate at each corner.

That floorboard stiffener....hmmmm.....I wouldn't buy it. If it ran across the floorboard underneath the vechicle in a "x" shape from front to back I would consider it.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
check out do luck racing if your interested in a cross bar

that is if you're looking to reinforce the chassis...in regard to the seatbelt/racing harness questions, the above post is totaly right about the roll cage being used to prevent spinal cord compression, however it also depends on the kind of seat you have, some seats are not made for racing harnesses since they lack the guides for the blet

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
Maybe it is just my eyes, but that bar basically looks like the same type of design that you use on a rod to hold up a shower curtain.

Looks like it consists of 2 pipes, a threaded fitting connecting them and rubber/plastic feet on the end.

Doesn't look like it is bolted down anywhere. Looks like it will slip before it ever does anything useful.

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
ArtcbluRsx said:
this bar supposedly works very well, the author of the post said it did more for the chassis of his car (rsx) than the upper struts,ties.....
do they make one for the prelude???

no one sits in the back of my car anyway!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.