Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys, I was thinking today about what it would take money wise for a civic hatch project...

i was thinking about a 92-94 stock hatch, about how much would that cost me ballpark? i could check te blue book, but i want real world values from ppl who have actually bought one recently.
also, honda tuning magazine said a whole k20 motor swap is about $2000, that seems damn cheap, can anyone say this is accurate?

right now i have a stock 95 gsr sedan, about 115k miles, and if this project is feasible with the money i get from selling it, i think i will go for it..anyone have any other suggestions? thanks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
yeah the cheapest i found a k20 for was like 4k and that was just the long block no harness no manifolds no nothing lol and well i got very very lucky in buying my 93 civic hatch i got it for 600$ from one of my good friends cousins 93 civic hatch stock d15b7 5spd tranny i took it its a steal but try and find one thats got some lil niks and a lil dent here and there so you can jew the guy down for less money. if u try and find a mint condition your lookin at like 2k minimum for a hatch good luck~!~!

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
kommon_sense said:
I would probably keep the gsr. anyways, a k20 will most likely cost you a lot more than that. More like $4-5k. Then add additional costs for the wiring, mounts, harnesses, etc...

with a car that already has the gsr tranny/motor in it, you have one of the more common upgrades to civics in my neck of the woods... whats wrong with the gsr? that could easily be made into a real sick fast car...

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
i can relate... we dropped the gsr motor/tranny in my buddys civic last spring... but i can also see practicality... you have a decent platform, you can build the project car up from there... turbo, twin turbo if you really have balls and a need for :bh (frustration)... suspension mods, big brakes, whatever...

·
Registered
388 Posts
u like that dont ya lol i can relate like i said i bought the civic hatch for 600 bucks its a steal but i needed to replace the left door the right fender pop out the dent on the rear right side quarter pannel buy rear bumper cover cuz it was cracked a bit all these items in all cost me like 160 bucks cuz i work at an auto parts store hehehehe i get my parts dirt cheap. i just currently swapped a d16z6 into the hatch my next project i will install the sun roof and then go for the disc brake swap in the rear and take out the drums.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
weewoo said:
u like that dont ya lol i can relate like i said i bought the civic hatch for 600 bucks its a steal but i needed to replace the left door the right fender pop out the dent on the rear right side quarter pannel buy rear bumper cover cuz it was cracked a bit all these items in all cost me like 160 bucks cuz i work at an auto parts store hehehehe i get my parts dirt cheap. i just currently swapped a d16z6 into the hatch my next project i will install the sun roof and then go for the disc brake swap in the rear and take out the drums.

nice run-on!!! try some punctuation once in a while, please...

i can understand the desire to build from scratch, but you can do as much work and as big of a project with the gsr... and it will probly cause less headaches...

but if you want to build up a civic, more power to you, and good luck!

·
Registered
388 Posts
is the gsr your only forms of transportation at this point?
if so then my idea wouldnt work.
if not and you have another car to take you from point A to B
i would suggest to take that engine apart and build it up yourself, pistons, connectiong rods, all that sweeeeeeet nectar you will be flying if you do it right.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
weewoo said:
is the gsr your only forms of transportation at this point?
if so then my idea wouldnt work.
if not and you have another car to take you from point A to B
i would suggest to take that engine apart and build it up yourself, pistons, connectiong rods, all that sweeeeeeet nectar you will be flying if you do it right.
yeah, the gsr is my only car, but i really dont want to start modding. ]
thanks for lookin out guys, i guess i will stay with the teg, unless something really good comes around and i can buy a hatch as a secondary project car.

btw: a friend just bought a 92 civic hatch 5spd, for 2500.....worst thing was it was in horrible condition, bad paint, bad interior, no seat belts, no mirrors, broken headlight....it goes on...a little off-topic, but i just wanted to say.. :lol2

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ya d00d, I'd slap a turbo on that GS-R. That will put a grin on your face. You have a great platform to work on. Besides, chicks dig tegs. I don't know very many chicks that like hatches.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.