Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 hx with an automatic cvt tranny. the car has 160,000 miles and every mile i ran the car hard. finally after about 5 years i was able to blow the tranny. i took off the pan and it was full of peices of what i guess is the band. it seems my cheapest way to go is to stick in a 5 speed so i found a wrecked 97 dx with 100k miles for 600$. i assume it should be easy enough to do. my only concern is when it comes to the ecu. can i just drop the 5 speed in and not worry about the wiring? should i put in the ecu from the dx and how different are the sensors from the hx to the dx. if anyone knows anything about it i would really appreciate some input.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i actually considered doing the same thing to my 1990 Accord...never really got a solid answer on the ECU issue. I think there are two computers, one that controls the tranny and the other controlls the engine, but I dont know this for sure.

What you do have to consider is the cost of the associated hardware, such as master cylynder, cables, wiring, etc.

A typical shop usually charges $65 an hour, and it seems that such a swap takes about 20 hours.

So after you do all the math, figure about $3000 for the whole thing. If your car is heavily modified, then this may be for you. But if it is pretty much stock, I would have to assume you couuld find a cheap Civic EX and that would be a better starting point.

If you plan to do it yourself, then obviously it will cost much less, but I am not sure what unexpected things you would run into.

To sum it all up, it probably makes more sense to just get a new Civic.

Just my $.02

:byye

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
"easy to do" isn't what i would say. its fairly difficult if you have no clue what you are doing. if you found the dx with all of its tranny and pedals and master/slave cylinders and clutch fluid lines, clutch that is in decent shape and the flywheel......the whole thing basically not damaged, you'd be ok in the fact you'd have everything.

ecu issue: you have the vtec-e hx. you have to use that same ecu, not sure what comes in it. i know the dx is the p2e, and the ex is the p28. you just need to get the manual ecu for the hx becasue of the vtec-e.

if you use the auto ecu in the manuak it will throw a code for a some sensor not being there. not sure what code it is but i know it will.

·
Registered
518 Posts
i think its the lockup tranny sensor or something i could be wrong, i just heard that somewhere and its rolling around in my head so thats my $.02

1 - 4 of 4 Posts