Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 Civic EX is going up to the red on the temp gage. I checked the coolant level and it's fine, and the fan comes on as well. I was thinking the only thing it could be would be the thermostat. Am I probably right??? Or is there something else I am missing? Please any info would be appretiated.

·
Registered
868 Posts
here is my suggestion...do not drive your car if possible. Get a friend to drive you to your nearest Honda dealer and get a thermostat. I had this same issue about a year ago because I was chasing down a prelude when i still had my d15b7 motor (big mistake). To make a long story short, my thermostat gave out, car overheated, headgasket went out on me, replaced it with my d16z6...then the tranny isssues came...just save yourself the headache and do what I did, JDM b16

·
Registered
83 Posts
Raiator flow?

I had an older accord and this happened to me. I took my radiator to a shop and got it tested. It was free and the radiator tested bad for flow. Its just a fluke but they can go bad for some reason. Take it and get it tested if the thermostat thing doesnt work. Its better than blowing a head gasket and having it cost you more.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had a hole in one of my radiator hoses the other day and this is what happenned.

First the hose blew and I lost some fluid.

Then I replaced the hose with a better one. (Always upgrade)

My car still overheated.

Took it to my Honda shop and they said if you do anything with your radiator hoses you have to bleed the air out.

They did that and it is back to working fine.

Hope this helps!:p

·
Registered
180 Posts
DONT DRIVE IT UNLESS U HAVE TO....this is why i drive a civic now.....cause i had to fix it once on my turbo supra....head gasket blew....then blew again so i was sick of it......so trust me
fix it before it gets to deep.....it could be thermostat, knock sensor, faulty guage, or head gasket may have blown, jsut make sure ur engine is not eating nor spewing coolant out of the resevoir, also...if ur exhaust smoke is always whitish or darkish and constant, it may be too late.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
if its dipped into the red even once chances are very very good you have cooked teh head gasket and need a new one, it happened to me, its easy to fix it takes about 4 hours total, including break, random stop work times

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the help, I just picked up a new t-stat and will try that first. I have'nt seen and white or black exhaust smoke so I think I'm ok their.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In case of dire need to drive a car with a bad thermostat....pull it out, the car will run cold and the heater wont work, but it will get you to a parts dealer until then....

JDM SIR II EG

·
Registered
66 Posts
regarding what someone mentioned about the head gasket being cooked if it's been run hot even once - I had a hole in a hose awhile back, and just made sure to carry lots of water until I could fix it.. one day it overheated pretty bad - saw the guage rising really quick, but by the time I got to the side of the road the engine wouldn't even idle on its own. Just made sure to let it cool for about an hour and a half before I put water in - still running fine about a year later.

·
Registered
50 Posts
yo

how bout your water pump?

also you can check your termostat by putting it in boiling water is should open, if not its fucked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts