Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i am going to go turbo on my B16A and i was thinking if a good option for stronger rods and pistons would be the civic type R ones? i would also get them cryogenicly hardend as well.

also what would be good cylinder's to use as opposed to the standard aloy ones (i heard they crack with boost) i cant afford ductile iron sleeves so is there another material out there that will take avge ammounts of boost and the high rpm?

oh BTW i am hoping to be running 10 psi at the max.

and by the way to save me making another post. would i be able to use a soilenoid (spelling:confused: ) boost controller to change the boost from say 6psi to 10psi without getting it tuned each time i change? i will probable be running one of the hondata setups. :D

thanks for taking the time to read my post. i hope you come up with some really good answers for me.

· Registered
320 Posts
It's not the compression that is unfavorable, it is the pistons and rods themselves. They weren't constructed with forced induction in mind. Not that any Honda motors were, but the Type-R motors were constructed with strictly NA in mind. They are perfectly capable of being boosted, but the rods and pistons are more prone to fail under boost than the regular GSR or B16A. I would stick with your stock internals.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweeeet thanks guru :D will do. how much boost can the stock sleeves take before they crack? i would like to try and avoid having to remove my motor from my car just to cut down on expenses. so would some brand new B16A pistons and rods hold up under 220 - 250 hp i would get them cryogenicly hardend just for good measure :D thanks again

· Registered
320 Posts
You don't have to take your motor out at all. You don't even have to open it up.

Some people like to open their motor for block guards, or thicker head gaskets. It's not needed, but you can if you want, but I prefer the stock compression...it's great.

As for how much boost the internals can handle...well, boost is relative. In one setup, it may be as little as 7psi, and in another, it may be as much as 23psi. What you want to ask yourself is how much power can it make. Well tuned, meaning that you have enough fuel and spark to make the power you want, and that the fuel and spark is reacting with the amount of air you want to take in, and everything is igniting and moving right when it should...then your threshhold is somewhere between 350-400hp. Now that is a lot of power. Set your goal around 300-325hp, and you will be happy. Your car will MOVE.

Rather than spending money on internals, look into getting the proper fuel and ignition setup, and engine management. Make sure you have a couple hundred laying around for a dyno session, because it will only benefit you.

· Registered
365 Posts
turbo question for the guru

i have a del sol vtec: I have a custom setup which is basically just like the fmax kit. (t3t04e)
Im not doing a thicker head gasket or any internals.
detonation/Fuel mngmt:
erl mf2 w/ missing link
msdbtm
greddy egt
255lph fuel pump

Now my question is with some good tuning how much boost do you think i can run on this setup on a stock b16a3? I know that you said that boost is relative, so I listedmy fuel setup. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
320 Posts
Re: turbo question for the guru

boostedb16a3 said:
i have a del sol vtec: I have a custom setup which is basically just like the fmax kit. (t3t04e)
Im not doing a thicker head gasket or any internals.
detonation/Fuel mngmt:
erl mf2 w/ missing link
msdbtm
greddy egt
255lph fuel pump

Now my question is with some good tuning how much boost do you think i can run on this setup on a stock b16a3? I know that you said that boost is relative, so I listedmy fuel setup. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
do you have those two extra injectors? sorry, i dont know too much about the f-max. if so, i would imagine 9psi on the street, and maybe 12 or 13 on the track...depends really

· Registered
365 Posts
turbo question for the guru

Yes. I do have the 2 extra injectors. They are lucas 440cc injectors. My kit is basically just like the revhard. Tial 35mm etc. I just said the like the fmax because of the mf2. So you think i can get 9psi all day and 12 on the track? I've heard of guys boosting like 1 full bar at the track w/ the same type of setup that I have. Do you oppose to that? Thanks for the speedy reply.
Later

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.