Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How To: Clean your Engine Bay

I intended this to be a mini-writeup with instructions and pictures and all, a walkthrough, but somehow my camera phone lost all the pictures I took? :mad Maybe its low on memory. Anyways, I'll still write the instructions and everything I did, and still try to get some helpful pictures up later.

Materials needed:
-3-5 plastic grocery bags
-Simple Green cleaner
-Water
-Spray bottle
-Warren engine degreaser (not necessary but its awesome)
-Wire brush (optional)
-pressure washer, or garden hose with spray nozzle
You can find all these items ^ at your local Walmart for about $15 or less.

It's a fairly simple process, takes about 40 minutes to an hour or so, depending how detailed you decide to be and how much work you put into it. Anyone can do this, it took me about 40-45 minutes after everything was said and done. The purpose is to remove typical grease, dirt, grime, oil, gas, any unwanted and dirty materials under the hood for a much cleaner and newer looking engine bay. You'd be surprised how much nicer it looks and how much easier it is to see nuts/bolts you may need to access later, not to mention you will get less dirty when doing so.

What I did first was cover all electrical components with some plastic grocery bags. Any size garvage bag will work, but smaller ones are just more convenient. The idea is to prevent water from entering places it shouldn't. I wrapped 1 bag around my distributor, 1 bag around my air filter, 1 bag around my battery, and 1 around my 'breather' filter on the valve cover. Tie the bag 'handles' to be snug, but not overly tight, you still have to take them off. The spark plug wires have seals that prevent water from entering the spark plug tubes, but sometimes they become loose, so you may wish to double check them and make sure they're on snug because high pressure water will find its way into small cracks. Or you may just cover the valve cover completely. I left mine exposed. Make sure the oil dipstick is firmly in, and the oil cap is firmly on and tight.

Next, I double checked that everything was properly sealed, then I went and got an old bodyspray bottle and filled it with approximately 1/3 of Simple Green and the rest water. Now the directions say for heavy duty cleaning, use 1 part Cleaner to 10 parts water, but I decided I wanted more. The cleaner is quite potent, if i could go back I would have used maybe 1:5 parts cleaner to water, it doesn't take much to do the job.

Here is the simple green I used(a little goes a long way for high concentration!):

And here is the bottle I used to spray my cleaner/water mixture:

Now it's time to simple green! I sprayed very liberally, my bottle contained nearly 3-4 cups of cleaning mix. There were no bounds, I sprayed anywhere and everywhere, and I didn't stop until my mix was gone. There's really no wrong way to go here, since all the important stuff is covered up. It is best to have the engine slightly warm while spraying. Not hot, but not cold. While letting it sit and soak(let it soak for 10 minutes), I was browsing the garage and found "Warren Engine Degreaser" and decided to give it a shot while i was at this. I also sprayed fairly liberally with this, but not on plastic things or hoses, etc, I mostly sprayed it on metal parts and particularly the front of the block. This stuff is absolutely amazing! I literally watched oil, grease, and grime melt away on contact when i sprayed it on. Directions say let it set for 10 minutes. At this point you may wish to use a brush to reach hard to reach areas or for an additional scrub. I however, opted not to. Just watch your eyes.

Don't know where you can get this, I just found it in my garage, it works wonders:

I was in a hurry, so I only waited about 7-8 minutes and broke out the garden hose and let loose. After i was satisfied that all the cleaning material was gone and it looked clean, I cut the hose off. Now it's safe to remove the plastic bags, carefully! Do not pull on them and try to break them if you tied knots. The bag may get caught on something and break it if you just go ripping it out. After that's done, I let mine drip dry for a few minutes and then it's time to start it up and let it dry some more. I took mine for a drive. Since I was negligent and accidentally touced one of my bags to the header when covering my electronics, I have a nice goo spot on my header that stunk for awhile.

I'm very satisfied with the results, the block looks like it was practically hot tanked its so clean(atleast from the front, the rear is hard to get to) and everywhere else just looks cleaner. It's a good DIY thing if you have some spare time. How do you think they get the engine bays so clean at dealership cars? They use a pressure washer, and then they throw in a bucket of grease to make everything shiny. ;) And I will try to get pictures up by tomorrow hopefully.

I'm not kidding about the 'nearly hot tanked look', look close, I took these just now and it's dark out so I tried to use a flashlight.
Turn your head to the right to see this one straight, you can see the dipstick tube.

d16z6 powah lol

Obviously I need more pictures, and I had them, but they got deleted in the cleaning process somehow. But I will take more! Thanks for viewing!

· Registered
1,635 Posts
I would suggest making sure you park your car for a minimum 1 day before you start the clean up or before you cleaned it up. I would mainly just stick to the simple green spray. What i also would use is like turtle wax for cleaning the main NON electrical parts because it helps keeps it color & not get so dirty so easy but all depends on kind of climate your around.

Also after you've detailed the engine bay, make sure the car is parked for at elast 48 hrs straight so the chemicals can dye in. Also could you send me complete photos also on AIM or here of your whole entire engay bay with regular camera so i can really see also what & how it looks like? Thanks bro, excellent work & excellent write up.

· Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hotness! is that in a crx? :p

· Registered
3,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pretty pretty! :aww

1 - 10 of 10 Posts