Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a few threads about Simple Green. Mike_sho made a thread a while back showing the before and after results of using it. His engine looked pretty damn good to begin with so you really couldn't see the results. Well today I decided to clean up the engine bay on my 01 Galant. As you can see from the pictures, it needed cleaning long time ago.

I sprayed and wiped down certain areas with a towel that was heavily coated with grease and dirt to loosen it up and also parts I didn't want to pressure wash. Then I sprayed everything down again and let it sit/drove to the car wash(5 minutes away)and rinsed everything down. Considering my car was pretty dirty. I used Simple Green without diluting it. It says on the bottle you can also dilute 1:10. I picked up a pretty good size bottle at Target for around 4 bucks and it took about 20-30 minutes to do all this. I remember taking my Accord to a place for them to clean my engine bay. They charged me 40 bucks to do what I just did today for 4 bucks.

Mods feel free to Sticky this thread...:D

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
that looks great! I should pick up some for my car! when the weather gets nice that is :rolleyes When you say sprayed down everything, you mean you took a hose to the engine? Can you really spray the engine with a hose?

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OldSchoolFresh said:
that looks great! I should pick up some for my car! when the weather gets nice that is :rolleyes When you say sprayed down everything, you mean you took a hose to the engine? Can you really spray the engine with a hose?
:nod...I took a high pressure hose to the engine.I also made sure I didn't get the distributor to wet. You can cover it up if your concerned about it getting to wet.

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
krazy....huge difference!

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Wow. Im thinking I might just copy your thread into that article, great pictures of the before and after.

Yeah mine wasnt so dirty. Also did you go in and use armor all on the hoses and things afterwards. That will get that white residue that it leaves.

I still swear simple green didnt used to work this good. Maybe its cause we used the full strength. It says on simplegreen.com you can use 1:1-1:10 ratio on the engine bay.

Also yeah cover the distributor and try not to go nuts on it, also really beware of where it connects to the motor , that little crack is the main spot to worry about. You can cover it with plastic trash bags or I just heard aluminum foil works good as it can kinda bend how you want it.

Good stuff man, thanks for sharing! :tu

·
Registered
118 Posts
Right behind ya..hopin to look that good tomorrow

After my post/poll earlier this week...I concurred with all about the Simple Green. Just wanted to make sure there was nothing better
MAN YOUR BAY LOOKS GREAT!
Made my autoparts store run today..(picked up Silverstars on sale 4x9005 and 2x9006, not sure about doing the conversion..all opinions welcomed)
Anyway...picked up my MEGA jug of Simple Green to work on this tomorrow..I hope mine goes as well...

I think there is some dirt in there from the dealer's lot in 1994. Inlaws had it 10yrs and took excellent care of the car, everywhere but cleaning the engine. Actually, I am surprised Honda didn't clean it when they charged him over $1200 for the 60k service (done @ 40k), new water pump and timing belt (not needed, but he asked the service mgr, what should he do to the car before he sells it to his son inlaw). It seems like something a good dealership would do with a repair bill that large.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mike_sho said:
Wow. Im thinking I might just copy your thread into that article, great pictures of the before and after.

Yeah mine wasnt so dirty. Also did you go in and use armor all on the hoses and things afterwards. That will get that white residue that it leaves.

I still swear simple green didnt used to work this good. Maybe its cause we used the full strength. It says on simplegreen.com you can use 1:1-1:10 ratio on the engine bay.

Also yeah cover the distributor and try not to go nuts on it, also really beware of where it connects to the motor , that little crack is the main spot to worry about. You can cover it with plastic trash bags or I just heard aluminum foil works good as it can kinda bend how you want it.

Good stuff man, thanks for sharing! :tu
Thanks! I got the idea from searching and reading your article.:bow I use to hate checking the fluids and doing work on my Galant because it was so dirty. I swear, yesterday I went out side like 7 times just to look under the hood again. I'm go ahead and finsh the job today and armor the hoses. Feel free to snag my pics out this thread and put them in yours.

wineguydfw said:
After my post/poll earlier this week...I concurred with all about the Simple Green. Just wanted to make sure there was nothing better
MAN YOUR BAY LOOKS GREAT!
Made my autoparts store run today..(picked up Silverstars on sale 4x9005 and 2x9006, not sure about doing the conversion..all opinions welcomed)
Anyway...picked up my MEGA jug of Simple Green to work on this tomorrow..I hope mine goes as well...

Make sure you post some before and after pics. I think your engine is worse than mine. I have no doubts that yours will turn out just as clean. I've never really had any dealerships clean my engine bay but one. When i bought my lude/ the Acura dealership detailed and cleaned the engine bay the last time I took it in for the to change my hoses (free). I doubt they do it for everyone but i made a big stink about it so in the end it was worth it. Maybe not drastically but I believe a clean engine bay helps a car run better.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
*mouth drop* my engine bay looks just like wineguy's. hey look jreese, me and you can work on my engine bay when I hit jacksonville. im so iffy about doing any cleaning to my engine bay, considering I dont want to screw anything up, but I do want to do this with some help.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hndasedan1 said:
*mouth drop* my engine bay looks just like wineguy's. hey look jreese, me and you can work on my engine bay when I hit jacksonville. im so iffy about doing any cleaning to my engine bay, considering I dont want to screw anything up, but I do want to do this with some help.

:nod...i'll hook you up... ;)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I just always use a can of $1.28 engine degreaser from gunk while I'm at the carwash. I just spray the whole can around on everything but the alternator which I cover in a plastic grocery bag, and then go pay for the high pressure rinse and spray it all off.

works just as good if you ask me.

Also, I wouldn't spray that stuff on first and THEN drive to the carwash. drive there and THEN spray it on.

Give it the least amount of time to burn as possible since it contains chlorine derivatives which, once they burn will only oxidize aluminum fast later on even after the majority of it has been washed away. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stackz said:
I just always use a can of $1.28 engine degreaser from gunk while I'm at the carwash. I just spray the whole can around on everything but the alternator which I cover in a plastic grocery bag, and then go pay for the high pressure rinse and spray it all off.

works just as good if you ask me.

Also, I wouldn't spray that stuff on first and THEN drive to the carwash. drive there and THEN spray it on.

Give it the least amount of time to burn as possible since it contains chlorine derivatives which, once they burn will only oxidize aluminum fast later on even after the majority of it has been washed away. Just food for thought.
yeah five minutes from my place to the car wash maybe once a year isnt going cause any damage down the road....you act like i said dump the whole bottle on the engine/let it sit for 48-73 hours, then rinse.. the little i sprayed wont make a difference and i dont plan on doing it again for a long time....I seen a guy this past weekend spray then try to rinse right after and he end up spraying again because he didn't give it time.. I wouldnt recommend spraying you engine with this stuff all the time...once you do it...keep it maintained and you wont have to worry about messing with it again...i think simple green is for extreme cases...

·
Registered
57 Posts
well fuck a duck!!! dude, that looks freakin' AWESOME!!!!

you have just inspired me...i'm gonna go out and do that too!!!

thanks a lot Jresse!!!

-M-

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kouki said:
so all you need to cover is the distributor? what about the fusebox, alternator, and battery? :confused

Honestly...I would cover anything you felt needed to be covered.I covered the distributor and took the battery out just in case.I wouldnt hose it down with full force. You know how the car washes have the real low setting for rinse....thats what i would use..

·
Registered
9,931 Posts
Jree$e said:
Honestly...I would cover anything you felt needed to be covered.I covered the distributor and took the battery out just in case.I wouldnt hose it down with full force. You know how the car washes have the real low setting for rinse....thats what i would use..
cool, thanks a lot man :tu

1 - 20 of 56 Posts