Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i purchased a used aem cai and it's pretty dirty, inside and out. the filter it came with was dirty and pretty bent out of shape, so i will most likely purchase an aem dry flow replacement filter. but what can i use to clean the tubing? the inside has dirt, so what would you recommend i clean the inside with? as for the outside, it's got scratches and basically signs of wear, but looks like it could use some cleaning...any recommendations on that? any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

· Registered
6 Posts
well he bought it used so he cant send it back for a new one. pressure wash the inside of the tubing, dry it with a rag, and repeat till its clean. windex would work great.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay, sounds good. thanks for your help, guys. i've been rubbing it with microfiber rag with a mixture of mild soap and water. it's looking good so far, but i'm definitely gonna give the powerwashing a try.

yeah, i bought it used so i can't send it back. lol hell....i only paid $80 for it. i've already ordered a new AEM bypass valve and AEM dryflow filter ($100 total including shipping). so total it'll cost me $180, which is still a bargain i think because i see them listed on online shops and on ebay for at least $250+.

it'll take a lil' bit of elbow grease and patience (waiting for new parts to come), but i think it'll definitely be worth it when i get the CAI up and running. :)

thanks again for all your help and advice, i really appreciate it!

· Registered
61 Posts
I must admit though, mine is a short ram intake, not cold air so it's about half the piping. However, when you engine only takes up half of your engine bay, I feel like moving the filter 1 foot down won't help anything :lol

Z

· Registered
12,453 Posts
Holy freakin crap, I think I got mine for like $140 brand new lol
Holy freakin crap, its a pipe with a filter on the end, no way the damn thing should cost more than $70 bucks tops.

I DIY'd my SRI/CAI for $50 with a good filter. Brand name intakes are a waste of money, IMO.

Anywho, clean it with simple green, cleans the shit out of everything.

· Registered
61 Posts
To each their own. I agree that its simply a pipe and paper, but AEM dyno tests each system they make for maximum performance. For people like me who will never do much more than I/H/E, why not splerg on the simple stuff? I mean the car cost me half as much as it should have anyways ;)

Z

· Registered
12,453 Posts
To each their own. I agree that its simply a pipe and paper, but AEM dyno tests each system they make for maximum performance. For people like me who will never do much more than I/H/E, why not splerg on the simple stuff? I mean the car cost me half as much as it should have anyways ;)

Z
Sure, but so are the e-gay pipes. They are clones of the AEM tubes for far less money.

I do put a good quality filter on the end, that you dont want to skimp on, and I'll pay price for that, but the fact that most people on here will pay $200 for a piece of pipe always amazes me.

Same with exhaust. People go drop 8 bills on an exhaust, when I could go to my muffler shop get the pipe mandrel bent for $100 tops. Go out an buy a good muffler, bolt it up, boom, I have an exhaust as good as any HKS, Greddy, ect. for maybe 250 tops.

The important elements are either the filter (or with exhaust the muffler) the rest is just steel or aluminum tube, no reason anyone should pay a premium for that.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it's not like i paid the full $250+ for the intake. and IMO i'd rather spend a bit more $ for a quality product that's been repeatedly reasearched and dyno-tested and proven to render results, than buy some cheap crappy eBay IMITATION that's TRYING to copy an AEM cold air intake. do you honestly think any research and development goes into any of the IMITATION aftermarket products on eBay? in the long run...i'm going for QUALITY, not cheapiness or cutting corners. that's my preference and opinion though, some may disagree and you know what, that's fine.

but anyways, back to the REAL topic here...lol i've never tried simple green, where can i find it? if it's easy to get ahold of, i'll definitely give it a try. thanks again to everyone for all the advice. :)

· Registered
12,453 Posts
it's not like i paid the full $250+ for the intake. and IMO i'd rather spend a bit more $ for a quality product that's been repeatedly reasearched and dyno-tested and proven to render results, than buy some cheap crappy eBay IMITATION that's TRYING to copy an AEM cold air intake. do you honestly think any research and development goes into any of the IMITATION aftermarket products on eBay? in the long run...i'm going for QUALITY, not cheapiness or cutting corners. that's my preference and opinion though, some may disagree and you know what, that's fine.

but anyways, back to the REAL topic here...lol i've never tried simple green, where can i find it? if it's easy to get ahold of, i'll definitely give it a try. thanks again to everyone for all the advice. :)
While I get where your comming from, it really doesn't matter, the ebay clones don't need r&d because they've already been designed and tested, your just paying for the name, which everyone does from time to time. I'd rather save my money and buy name brand for more impotant parts. Like tires, brakes, turbos Etc.

But simple green is easily found. Just go to any car parts store or home improvement place and they should have it. It cleans just about anything. Engine bays, exterior, cleans siding, grease spots on Tarmac stovetops and more. It's my cleaner of choice.

· Premium Member
29,824 Posts

ummm it's an intake. aem doesn't use magical fairy dust on it's aluminum piping. it's the same chemical make up as the ebay one. the main difference is the filter. it's not like you gained any hp from it on a stock motor.

and yes research and development goes into ebay intakes. they buy the proven product from name brand companies that spent the big bucks on r&d and copied it. it's a piece of tube with a filter. now a turbo is another story. you can cheap out on exhausts, test pipes, and intakes.

p.s. the truth about aem is that they're a joke. they skew their test results to sell you a product. they're "dyno proven" intake is done in a controlled environment with the hood up and a giant fan blowing on the engine. that's not even how real world airflow happens when you drive your car.

· Registered
12,453 Posts
ummm it's an intake. aem doesn't use magical fairy dust on it's aluminum piping. it's the same chemical make up as the ebay one. the main difference is the filter. it's not like you gained any hp from it on a stock motor.

and yes research and development goes into ebay intakes. they buy the proven product from name brand companies that spent the big bucks on r&d and copied it. it's a piece of tube with a filter. now a turbo is another story. you can cheap out on exhausts, test pipes, and intakes.

p.s. the truth about aem is that they're a joke. they skew their test results to sell you a product. they're "dyno proven" intake is done in a controlled environment with the hood up and a giant fan blowing on the engine. that's not even how real world airflow happens when you drive your car.
Unless you get some mad JDM airscoops y0!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.