Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i bought an extra oem intake manifold so i can "port and polish" it. The thing is that its used so it has carbon build up on it. I was wondering if can clean it up with water and soap and dry it off, or is that a bad idea??? Oh ya and tips on the port and polishing part? (trust me i searched and didnt get as much as info as i would have liked) THANKS IN ADVANCE!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
dont mess with runners of the intake manifold. they are designed very well. there made so that when air is passed threw the runners it creates terbulace. so when air gets into the chamber it attimises with the fuel.

what i would do to clean it up(out side) get some high temp silver paint. paint the outside. sure does make it look sharp.

but i wouldnt mess with runners. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
i smoothed out some of the casting flash the best i could through out the intake, but i saw the most improvement by gasket matching the whole intake, mainly the gaskets at the butterflies. lots of extra metal in there that you dont need.

you can get to just about everything by breaking into the the 3 pieces it is.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Matt said:
i smoothed out some of the casting flash the best i could through out the intake, but i saw the most improvement by gasket matching the whole intake, mainly the gaskets at the butterflies. lots of extra metal in there that you dont need.

you can get to just about everything by breaking into the the 3 pieces it is.
my butterflies where just fine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how do u open the second part of the three pieces (the part with the butterflies on them)....r u suppose to just pull it out, if so then my thing is stuck cause i am unable to pull it off..HELLP!!! :confused

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
hamadiscool said:
how do u open the second part of the three pieces (the part with the butterflies on them)....r u suppose to just pull it out, if so then my thing is stuck cause i am unable to pull it off..HELLP!!! :confused
you should see this when you take the top plenum off. it might be a little hard. if you end messing up the gasket..just make one out of a kellogs box. :p thats what i did.

dont worry about the circles

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
omg...last night i was jumping on that little beeatch cause iwasnt able to pull it out. I cleaned it today with hot water and soap and tried the screw driver trick...worked like a charm :) thanks i will hopefully post some pics up when i am done :number1 GO UT!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
hamadiscool said:
omg...last night i was jumping on that little beeatch cause iwasnt able to pull it out. I cleaned it today with hot water and soap and tried the screw driver trick...worked like a charm :) thanks i will hopefully post some pics up when i am done :number1 GO UT!
you gunna more then likely need to make another gasket. just some cardboard...thats what i did for the bottom one. :) glad i could help

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
DrivinVtec said:
you should see this when you take the top plenum off. it might be a little hard. if you end messing up the gasket..just make one out of a kellogs box. :p thats what i did.

dont worry about the circles
yours doesnt look near as bad as mine did. those circles didnt match my gaskets near as good as yours.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.