Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
CLEAR RTV SILICONE, waterproof, heat resistant. buy from discount or autozone. Seal them shut then run more aound the seal to make sure. It won't turn yellow, I've done five of my friend civics including mine and I've had it done for 3 years, no yellow.

If your worried, use black you can't see it anyway.

I personally like clear better.

· Registered
66 Posts
Damn, I used to have step by step instructions on how to with pictures but I threw it away and forgot where I got it.

I'll try to walk you through it.

Take off headlights. I'll assume you know how.
With a flat head screwdriver start working it into the corner of the outside of the headlight. (part near fender when on car.) Then just little by little move farther down, prying with the screwdriver, its good to use two screwdrivers, one small one to keep prying farther and one to leave a little farther behind to sort of hold it open. When you get to the clips, make sure you unclip them before prying that part open. If one or two break, don't worry.

Also one thing to note,as your prying it apart, you can after about halfway, just start pulling the two pieces apart with your hands, its sorta hard, its good to use a razor knife to cut the glue that you see tying to hold it together as you pull apart.

One you have the front clear glass part and rear part separated, on the rear piece ther are three (I think) screws that hold the chrome piece on, take off the screw and the chrome piece comes out. Then, take out the one screw that holds the orange reflector on then take out the one screw that holds the orange cup thing over the bulb.

Then put it back together in reverse order.

Before you joing the clear glass and the rear piece, dig all the glue out you can on the rear piece where the clear front inserts to. This will help make a better seal. Also on the clear glass, pull off any glue you can with you fingernails or something.

Then put a bunch of RTV silicone in the rear piece where the clear glass will insert into and press the front and rear together. Its ok if some of the glue squeezes out. Use your finger and rub around the rim to make a better seal.

If you see either headlight fog up after, take that headlight off and run some more glue around the seal real good.

IF your worried, you can buy step by step with pictures off ebay for like $5-10 dollars.

let me know if you have more questions.

Mike

· Registered
179 Posts
i just used an oven to pop it open and pop it back together......no fuss and no mess, took about 20 minutes to take it apart and put it back together with the original silicone........no fogging problems so far.

· Registered
1,481 Posts
i did all that on my 2000 civic si, yet the housing fogs up still. Do you think it could be a problem with the black rubber part surrounding the back? It's kinda hard to explain, but it's the black rubber part that covers the opening to the back of the housing. I am wondering if possibly the heat of the engine is causing the water to become steam, and go up those two holes on the black rubber backing into my headlight housing??? They only fog when the engine is warm, so that makes me think it isnt a bad sealant job. Any ideas or tips??

· Registered
66 Posts
I agree, it's not those two little black tubes. We all still have those and no fog.

I must also say unless your car is majorly overheating its not steam. I have A GSR motor with the civic radiator, it gets hot ( a little too hot, i need to get a fluidyne) but doesn't make enough steam to make your headlights fog.

You must have not used enough glue, be very liberal with it, use a lot. Try to look for spots where there's a hole around the edges and squeeze a bunch of glue into those places as well.

Mike

· Registered
1,481 Posts
what made me think it wasnt a glue issue was the fact that they only fog when the car engine gets hot. Sitting in the rain or under water when washing the car does nothing to them. It's ONLY when the engine is warm, and i wsa very liberal with the glue...that's why i figured it was those two black tubes. Is there any way to get the stuff Honda uses on them from the factory?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.